Tale of the Unexpected

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Following on from our discussion in another thread about risk, this is an interesting video. The risk of left filtering is minimal here (this is the one place I sometimes left filter) as there is not much that could go wrong. The traffic is stationary and not about to move and there is a wall and bushes on the left.

So even though something is very unlikely, it can and does happen...:tongue:

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
Interesting. Just get out of the car and stand in the middle of a busy road. :tongue:

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Whenever I filter, I always assume someone will open a door -I'm always looking for that movement.

One thing I don't like to do for this reason though is filter on the opposing side of traffic (e.g. on the right side in the UK). If someone opens a door you might have the unappealing choices of going into the door or into oncoming traffic, neither of which is appealing.

I know plenty of people do it, I just won't usually do it myself unless I think its really safe and I'm gaining something. Another issue is that you can be left in no mans land of the right lane if someone plays nasty or you misjudge coming back into the traffic (I think there was a recent video about that with a lorry). Too much to lose with too little gain for me.

But to borrow from the other thread with group hugs, we all make decisions on our own safety and what some judge is OK, others don't.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Yes, but I think that's unrealistic. I think most of us have been in a car where either you or your passenger decides to make a quick exit (e.g. "I'll get out here while the lights are red" sort of thing).

hackbike 6 said:
Yeah that is a risk obviously,motorists should really park up if they want to let people out or the passenegr should check.I generally do if im in a car.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

User3143 said:
True, I understand why you filter down the left.

Me personally bearing in mind you can see all the traffic, and the position of the car in front of the one where you almost had an incident. I would of gone straight down the middle and then cut in.

That would be a lot more dangerous in this instance. If the traffic was to unexpectedly start to move off, I would be stuck in the middle when I would want to be crossing into the far left lane which has just appeared on the far left. I've filtered there on many occasions in the past without any problems.

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
Gosh - that could have been a video of exactly what happened to me!

The car that got me was that far out from the kerb as well - nothing to indicate that they are going to let a passenger out or anything! Mind was double yellows though and a no loading zone and there were railings too!

I presume the woman that got out of the car and hit me was going to walk down the gap at the side to the lights and carry on from there?

At least this queue looked massive - mine was really small and they had only just overtaken me anyway!

I still don't fancy overtaking on the right though - it's a tricky one I think - the right hand side will have oncoming traffic and if it is tight that's tricky - also someone posted up here an incident where they were filtering on the right and they mistimed the lights and then ended up getting in front of a lorry and getting cut up!

I agree with the earlier poster who said that the driver should really pull in to the kerb if they are going to let a passenger out.

If you get hit this way though don't expect the Police to do anything - they told me it was "reasonable"!

I think it's one of those things that you know there is a risk and you just have to be careful - I learnt the hard way I suppose!

If she had opened her door on this video a second or two later Mags would have got it too! :tongue:

Jake

yikes, that was a close one. wasnt expecting that!

OP
OP
M

magnatom

the reluctant cyclist said:
If she had opened her door on this video a second or two later Mags would have got it too! :tongue:

Aye, but at least I would have been knocked into the bushes. It was the little girl I was worried about!

OP
OP
M

magnatom

User3143 said:
But wheres it gonna go? The whole road (even after the lights) is near enough at a standstill. Plus on the approach the lights went red.

Yes but you can't see that when approaching from the junction. You have to make a decision pretty quick there as traffic does swap lanes etc. Also as there are lights just before I want to turn off, if I am in the middle of the lanes when the lights change (as they did in the video) then I am stuck there when the lights go back to green (unless I RLJ). By that time the traffic ahead will have moved away and I would be stuck exactly where I don't want to be. Trust me. If I'm going to filter here, it has to be on the left.

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
magnatom said:
Aye, but at least I would have been knocked into the bushes. It was the little girl I was worried about!

Still doens't mean you won't suffer an injury though does it? Or were you really going for it?! I was only doing about 8mph - not v.fast am I?! :tongue:

hackbike 6

A good knowledgeable experienced motorist or cabbie would pull in.

It looks like she was getting ready to puke, maybe she was car sick from all the deep fried confectionary that you jockinese eat

That is a good point.

Top Bottom