Talk Talk

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Does anyone have any experience of Talk Talk phone/broadband packages? what's the BB like? any problems with customer service?

I've been flyered with a decent (i guess) price for a phone/broadband deal, but they're only offering 18 months' contract so i'd like to know what people think of them.

solmisation

Have a look at this PC Advisor Broadband Survey,
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=3202987

I was with them about 4 years ago and left because of the poor service( They told me that I could only get 2Meg, but Pipex could give me 6Meg for the same price ), as I say that was a few years ago now, cant comment about the service now.

Pottsy

Worst customer service I've ever encountered. I left and went back to BT who are mediocre in that respect but not as bad.

Edit: you might be ok if it all works immediately and never goes wrong but if you have a problem, you're stuffed.

gf1959

I only stick with them cos i really can't be bothered to change back to BT,i'm not a big net user. The speed is crap,1mpbs or less some days but even a BT man told me the exchange was the problem. That despite living only just outside town. I will say talktalk is at least reliable,indian call centre so expect the usual thing there(all scripted).

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Er, sorry if this sounds a bit thick but I was reminded of a story out yesterday, aren't you best off waiting till early next year in your area and see how the changes shake up the market and prices before signing a long contract? Just my 2p worth.

Garz

Squat Member
Companies like this are ok for a very casual user such as my parents whom are very computer illiterate and may get a few hours worth of access per week at most. Once you start to head into a 'normal' user category these cheap providers are that for a reason.

They cap stuff, squeese everyone onto bottleneck the load, horrible customer support and contract out maintenance to parties that can't cope. *shudders at thought of being locked in with them*

marinyork

I wouldn't feel too oppressed, various Manchester exchanges are high up the pecking order for FTTC phase 1.

Garz

Squat Member
Unless you can get cable?

various Manchester exchanges are high up the pecking order for FTTC phase 1.

It doesn't make a difference as I'm on Virgin so Fibre-optics. :arrow:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Come on My York - I believe there's upgrades coming to exchanges etc. My AOL will be up in December - been fine - bit shaky after the change to carphone warehouse, but has been steady since, and we got a half decent laptop for free.

Garz

Squat Member
Probably just upgrading the twisted pair of old telephony gear. This hype about how poor our broadband speeds are compared to other countries.

marinyork

Dan Bo's exchange (if he's on failsworth) is on the list to be upgraded to fibre to the curb/cabinet. It's a brand new service, basically you should be able to get similar kinds of speeds to what virgin media do. Whenever they finish it and offer services you'll find it a sort of equivalent to your local railway line been upgraded to channel tunnel kind of service. Virgin Media is a kind of fibre to the green box down the road. Anyway early 2010 is when it is down for. There isn't any news or services and pricing but it should be a very big change. It'll probably get talked about in late 2010 and 2011 as many more exchanges get done. On this timescale an 18 month contract is pretty long.

Top Bottom