Taster at Manchester Velodrome

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
On the 22nd I am going to be going to the velodrome for my first go at track cycling. From there I will be working towards my accreditation.
I have a few questions to those of you who have done this course before.

Gear questions:
What does the Dolan Track bike look like?
What do the pedals/shoes look like?
How does the gearing work?
Can you use any helmet when you have taken the visor off it?

General questions:
Are you helped on/off the bike?
What skills are you required to learn?
Is it hard to get accredited?
Are the other 14 cyclists any good?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Look at Dolan web site -bog standard track bikes with Navigator Wheels.

Pedals are Look Delta - so if you don't have these you will need to hire shoes.

No gears. Fairly standard gear and easy to turn - I spin out on them - not sure of the inches. 84 ish

Any helmet no visor.

No, you get on the bike by holding onto the rails
Follow what the coach says
Not particularly hard but you need to show competence.
On the taster the 'experience' of cyclists will vary. If you go for accreditation, then it's likely to be more experienced.

Keep an eye out on here for CC Forum events - we do 2 hours coached training.

Advise.

1 Don't go slow on the banking
2 Do not undertake
3 Look behind before changing line
4 Don't stop pedalling !

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Thanks Fossy, I understand that you go at quite a brisk pace (30mph) because anything below 18 and you will fall on the banking. This should be relatively easy indoors but do you suggest that I build up my fitness before hand? And get used to riding at they speed on the roads?
(I can ride at 18/20 on the roads easily without a headwind, but should I up my game and try for 25/30 on the flats?)
I have seen a vid on Youtube and the professionals easily get up to 40 (which I wont do).

And I will keep you updated Paul_L.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
General speed is 20 ish I'd guess, upto 25. You will only slip on the banking if you go slow - like 15 or less - can't tell as no speedo.

Corners you tend to pedal hard round as it's like riding a hill, then ease off on the straight.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
General speed is 20 ish I'd guess, upto 25. You will only slip on the banking if you go slow - like 15 or less - can't tell as no speedo.

Corners you tend to pedal hard round as it's like riding a hill, then ease off on the straight.
You can hire a speedo (£2! OMG).

Got the technique though. :thumbsup: Hard into the corner, maintain speed, ease off out of the corner and on the flats.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
You can hire a speedo???? Wouldn't have thought they would allow it as they don't want anything that could potentially fall off and/or distract a rider and cause a pile-up.

Great fun on the boards, you'll have a blast. As for accreditation... unsure but I *think* you need to get in an organised group so you can do the skills required. Unless they put you in that group then you won't be getting accredited on your first go (may be talking complete ar$e though... as has been known in the past!). :blush:

colly

Re member eR
You can hire a speedo???? Wouldn't have thought they would allow it as they don't want anything that could potentially fall off and/or distract a rider and cause a pile-up.

Great fun on the boards, you'll have a blast. As for accreditation... unsure but I *think* you need to get in an organised group so you can do the skills required. Unless they put you in that group then you won't be getting accredited on your first go (may be talking complete ar$e though... as has been known in the past!). :blush:

I think, but am not sure, that they fit a transponder (transmitter? transducer? transvestite? trans something or other anyway) to the bike and time you via their equipment.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Yes Colly, a transponder is what I read on the website. It would be good if we could use something like that on the roads to map our rides (a smaller and easier to use version of GPS).

colly

Re member eR
Matthew, if you enjoy your track session keep your eyes open for sessions organised from here. I sorted a couple out last year and will probably be arranging one again soon.

2old2care

Über Member
Thanks Fossy, I understand that you go at quite a brisk pace (30mph) because anything below 18 and you will fall on the banking. This should be relatively easy indoors but do you suggest that I build up my fitness before hand? And get used to riding at they speed on the roads?
(I can ride at 18/20 on the roads easily without a headwind, but should I up my game and try for 25/30 on the flats?)
I have seen a vid on Youtube and the professionals easily get up to 40 (which I wont do).

And I will keep you updated Paul_L.
Check out You Tube, there's a guy on there bunny hopping up the banking, without any forward motion. You don't need to achieve those speeds to stay on the banking, I'll be amazed ( unless you're very fit and strong ) if anyone in the group achieves 30mph^_^

Top Bottom