Taxi driver - dilemma

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This is another one of those 'same old stories' which so many have experienced. But for me it's rare. No accident, but a near miss as a cabbie shoots out of a side road on my left, straight across my path making me brake violently. Me lit up like an Xmas tree of course, and wearing yellow hi-viz to boot.

He's aiming for the nearby taxi rank, so I follow him there: he stops some way apart from other cabbies so this altercation isn't in front of his mates, note.

Me: "excuse me ... is that how you normally pull out of a side road?"
Him: "what?"
Me: "well you nearly had me then - shot out straight across my path".
Him: "sorry."
At that point I should have left it, but I just didn't like the 'sorry', it sounded a bit too insincere, too pat, too mechanical. Maybe the rest is my fault.
Me: "well please take care in future you could have killed someone"
Him "yer what?"
Me: "I said please take care---"
Him: "bloody bicycle drivers shouldn't be on the road".

It's that last, I haven't experienced before! I know that some of you hear it every day: pure DM-fodder! Why on earth he said "driver" and not "rider" I don't know...

Dilemma is: it's a taxi firm that I often use. So I might get him some day when I need to take a cab. I really don't want to start a war with someone. So, although I've got his number, he hasn't done any harm - yet. Best let it rest I think.

dodgy

Report him and use a different cab company - double whammy.

The driver will be given points for bad driving and for swearing.

They need to be told their diving is unacceptable.

I have been on the opposite side..... I had a Taxi from on site to another paid for by my employer.

The driver cut up a cyclist and swore at them.

I told the driver to stop and got out, explaining that I was not going any further with someone whose driving was so poor.

He was not at all happy, but nothing he could do. Then wrote to the company, copying to my employer why I had stopped the trip..... when the contract was renewed the complaint was one of the factors in it not being reviewed

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
If its like here then I'm guessing theres only 1 or 2 cab firms you can reliably use? So I know how you feel.

I caught one last year pulling into our family drive so he could adjust his satnav and do a uTurn. I wasnt best pleased as that pretty much a liberty so reported him to the PCO saying a) I dont want him sacked, but b) I'm keeping his details on file (reg and PCO plate number) so if he does it again I'll be pushing for something more serious. I insisted they have a word.

It was also pointless as there are so many side roads to just drive down that will take you back out where you came from around here. I did comment on his either lack of knowledge/lazy driving.

EDITED because I cant speel

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
I think a distinction has to be drawn between the deliberately reckless driver and a driver who has made a genuine mistake. All of us c**k up at some time, yes even cyclists. I don't know sufficient about the OP's incident to judge either the OP or the taxi driver, so please don't pin that on me, but the driver may have made a genuine goof. On this occasion, no-one was hurt so the gentle remonstration by Pete should be sufficient IMHO.

OP
OP

661-Pete

Yes, I'll call this a 'genuine mistake'. Certainly I've had very little trouble with taxi drivers around here over the years - mostly exemplary. I think the guy has something to chew over though. And yes there are only a few cab companies I can draw on, and this one is very convenient because of their situation.

I'm thankful that I didn't drop into "f***"s and "c***"s, this time!

hypnose

ur right no harm done this time, what about next time? i would have given him a proper telling of. made him realise he did wrong

ACS

Legendary Member
.. especially for some cyclists hit by taxis.

Did I miss something OP states it was a near miss, asks advice about way to proceed.

IMO experience Taxi drivers are some of the most cycle aware drivers on the road.

We all have near misses,some are worth getting wound up about others...............................

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Did I miss something OP states it was a near miss, asks advice about way to proceed.

IMO experience Taxi drivers are some of the most cycle aware drivers on the road.

We all have near misses,some are worth getting wound up about others...............................

could have fooled me...

This one nearly hits me on several occasions -

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnIcU8d8_Tg

and this one does hit me and then gives me a piece of his mind -

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkFf_s7vwFo

400bhp

Guru
Agreed

My closest shave was a taxi driver. He came off a roundabout on the Mancunian Way and didn't look to his right. Missed his front by inches. Convinced I would have been a KSI. :sad:

I had another black cab driver go around me and to my left to take a right turn at light when i was in front of him turning right. :angry:

I had one yesterday think he could edge into the middle of the road for him to cross traffic and turn right, when I was on the opposite side turning right.

THE worst group of drivers in my mind,.

Jaguar

Yep, report him then forget it.

I hate taxis. We have one main firm round my way and they tend to park in the bike lanes and on double yellows, blocking everyone else. They don't give a fig. The last straw was when I got knocked off my bike last year: a) a taxi driver was a witness but failed to back me up b) I tried to hire a cab to take my buckled bike to the bike shop, and they said "none available" (even though they have a big old thing that carries wheelchairs). Hate 'em, I'd rather take the bus even if it's 2 hrs longer

Top Bottom