Taxi? No thanks!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The L J Monk

Morning all. First time post, so greetings.

I've been commuting in to work now for 5 months, a leisurely 10 or so miles round trip, enough to get the day off to a good start.
This morning however the days off to a rotter of a start thanks to an errant hackney carriage. Coming round Old Street roundabout, traffic was mostly at a standstill, with a line of bikes making their way slowy and safely through the available space. All too much for one cabbie though who decides to dart through, catching me on the pedal (now bent) and shreading my trainer with his front wheel as he did so.
Now i'll survive, and in my short time of commuting I've sadly seen much worse incidents, however my query is - as a relative newcomer, what are you supposed to do in that situation? Is it just "one of those things" that happens and you get on with it, or should I have been after him (despite his dart he had to wait 20 metres ahead at the next traffic lights) for a chat?

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
As he hit you and caused damage which you will now have to pay for, I would have caught him up and asked for his details so that you could send him the bill (assuming it was his fault).
Secondly, go and get a camera so that you will be able to persue future incidents without needing the chase.
Did he know he hit you. Catching his wheel is very dangerous and one of the things most likely to pull you under the vehicle.

Keith Oates

Janner
I'm glad you are not damaged, but for all that I think a chat would have been appropriate and making a note of his number plate and taxi number would also have been useful, if you feel like making a claim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
T

The L J Monk

Cheers for the replys guys.
I did get his number plate, not his taxi registration number or anything though. I'm not sure what I'd do with it though really? I doubt my bike marked his tyre, so not sure how I could prove anything - and I didn't fancy stopping in the middle of Old Street roundabout for witnesses either to be honest.
Like I say though, I'm fine - little bit shaken up at the time as it's the first occasion anyone has knocked into me - but I might need a hammer for the pedal, and some super glue for the trainer.

Top Bottom