taxi to john o groats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User482

Kirstie said:
Or you could take the Puffin Express for £28 per person. It's what we did...

Was Sinclair driving? He's quite a character!

User482 said:
Was Sinclair driving? He's quite a character!

No he was in the passenger seat, pissed as a newt, doing the commentary through the microphone although we were only 4 feet away from him in the back! In Brora he stopped and dashed into the local for another pint. Laslo (sp?) was the driver, but he didn't say much. It was a pretty mad drive!

U

User482

Kirstie said:
No he was in the passenger seat, pissed as a newt, doing the commentary through the microphone although we were only 4 feet away from him in the back! In Brora he stopped and dashed into the local for another pint. Laslo (sp?) was the driver, but he didn't say much. It was a pretty mad drive!

Sounds about right. He asked me what my passion was and I replied immediately with "punctuation". He seemed to like that!

Coming back from JOG was surreal - the bus was full of Swedish pensioners, plus us two very pissed cyclists (having decided to celebrate at the JOG bar by trying their fine range of whiskies).

User482 said:
Sounds about right. He asked me what my passion was and I replied immediately with "punctuation". He seemed to like that!

Yes he liked the fact that I'd heard of John A Macdonald, and then kept cursing the English! It was funny!

It was just us two in the taxi - we only managed one pint at JoG, but made up for it later!

klanky

There seems to be some confusion over how taxis in the Highlands charge...

They charge no different to any other Licenced taxi in Britain, the trip is only charged one way on the meter. This gives you a figure of around £165.00 on the meter from JOG-Inv.
As someone pointed out, it is at least 5 hours for the round trip. By the time you have knocked off fuel, running costs and wages for the driver - there isn't as much left as you'd think. The chances of a return fare are basically nil.
Taxis cannot charge over the meter price but are free to discount as much as they like.

Regarding Scotrail:

Some people breeze onto the train no problem at all.
Other people have a nightmare, sometimes the staff stick rigourously to the 2 bike limit, others will sometimes let you take it on as hand luggage (if you strip it down) and others will allow 4 bikes.:tongue:

The official capacity is 2 bikes. Yet I have spoke to End to Enders who have booked their bikes on in advance only to find that other people have also been booked on even though there is not the capacity to take all the ones that were booked!
There was nearly a punch-up on the platform in Wick because of this situation a couple of years ago.....But Scotrail inform me that they no longer 'double book' the allocated slots. Hmmmmm

klanky

We do a lot of runs to and from JOG to Wick, Thurso and Inverness.
As User76 points out there are certainly cheaper ways than getting a taxi, but it can be hit and miss.
Certainly the train is scenic..it also takes 4 hours to cover the 100 and odd miles!:tongue:

I've found that a lot of people arrive at JOG (when finishing) with the intention of sorting out transport after they get there....bad move. Please bear in mind that we get a hell of a lot of End to Enders every day of the week in the season...and they're all looking for transport south.
Also, a lot of End to Enders can't be bothered to cycle back to Wick or Thurso to get the train after they've just pedalled nearly 1k miles, so they use our Taxis for that too.

Getting a Taxi is certainly the most efficient way but certainly not the cheapest.

If anyone wants any info about JOG (accom, pubs, things to do and places to stay), please feel free to contact me. I know all the Hotel and B+B owners in the area and will be more than happy to help out.

klanky

Slow train runnin'.....

Update:

Scotrail will now offically take 4 bikes on the Train. Just been told this at the beginning of the week by our 'mole' at Wick station.:rofl:

Regarding Lee's post about using the van from Wick to Inverness..alas, this service no longer operates.

If anybody wants any more info - please feel free to contact me.

Klanky.

The Transporter

LeJog Bike Transport

Just found this interesting forum amd wanted to introduce myself to everyone.

I have been transporting bikes for people to and from Inverness, John O'Groats and further afield since 2001. I have two fully enclosed trailers and can take up to 8 bikes and 8 people (which makes the transport cheaper).

I have posted bags back to people who have taken their bikes on the plane. I have helped people assemble and disassemble their bikes and I really try to make things as easy as possible for people.

I was an HGV driver for 18 years diving to venues throughout Europe so I have vast knowledge of the country (and further afield!). If anyone wants to get in touch apart from through this forum I can be contacted through email info@ross-tours.co.uk or visit my website www.ross-tours.co.uk.

:tongue:

Brains

Legendary Member
Transporter - you should also check out the CTC web site and ensure your details are posted there as well.

The "How do I get to/from Inverness with my bike" question is one that often crops up on a number of the cycle related web sites.

Next time you give a lift to some one doing the JOG-LE route, get them to put up an advert for you at Lands End, and ensure all the local B&B's, Campsites, route cards, Penzance Station etc so on also have your details.

A couple of A boards on the A9 at somewhere like Brora might also be a good advert

An A Boa

Top Bottom