Team Sky/Ineos

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sky have grown to be a very successful team due to the money invested in them. Unless they get a similar level of sponsorship it is inevitable that they will become just another team. The only question then will be how long it will take for their best riders, and support team, to leave and for the results to fall off.

I doubt there will be many people on the European mainland upset by this news.

tom73

Guru
Business come and go in all sports any team given the money can be top of the tree football as good example is full of them.
How much the money needed and it's worth in terms of profile. Is quite another i don't know enough about pro cycling to know the money need to to have even a 1/2 decent team and for that to translate into profile to make it worth it.

How much can a 1/2 decent team be had for to make it worth the money from a business case?

Who ever takes it on if they can't match the money the party is over if they can match it they maybe onto a good thing if they can keep the cycle side of the brand from going toxic. If not it maybe a costly mess companies live and die by a brand once it get's toxic and it don't take much it's game over.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Apparently McLaren are looking to come into cycling, so that could get interesting.

McLaren are coming in with Bahrain Merida, I suspect kicking and screaming because they are being forced into it. It will be interesting to see how much effort they put in and what new technologies can do to shake up the peloton.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Now aponsored by GSK.

D

Deleted member 26715

Froome has a contract with Sky until end of 2020 how well he stand as they are pulling out at the end of 2019 could they put him on garden leave for a year?

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Froome has a contract with Sky until end of 2020 how well he stand as they are pulling out at the end of 2019 could they put him on garden leave for a year?
What would be the point of that? His contract is with Sky Cycling (or whatever the corporate entity is that "owns" the team). Sky TV is a sponsor that is pulling out. Sky Cycling still has a contractual obligation to pay Froome according to his contract. Whether they can afford to pay it or not is another matter. But if they can, he'll race. If they can't, they're in breach and Froome could go elsewhere

Top Bottom