[Teams, Tour De France]Astana!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Armstrong made the cut then:biggrin:

yello

I reckon the shenanigans behind Astana are complex; just who is funding what and how and why. It'd probably take combined degrees in business, psychology and politics just to even begin to comprehend. Many fingers in many pies; egos and personalities complicating it all - Khazaks, Brunyeel, LA & Liverstrong and even Vinokorov. And, who knows, UCI and even ASO making feelings known.

With that backdrop, it's understandable that Contador is not happy and was maybe hoping Astana would fold and he could jump ship (Caisse or even Garmin). And the Astana situation may not be settled even yet.

Astana have obviously (and rightly, imo) selected Contador as leader for the TdF. But equally obviously the relative positions of Contador and LA would be assessed at a point (maybe after stage 8 from Andorra). I reckon that should LA be in a strong, but not necessarily stronger, position than Contador at that point then he would be become leader.... but [DA]would Contador 'leave' at that point?[/DA]

OP
OP
John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
The added complication is that HRH might be the guy paying your wages next year.

Witness the two riders staying with Armstrong in the Giro, rather than helping bottle Levi.

Add to that the talk of Berto and other teams, and the way Armstrong has reacted in the past to that (Livingstone, anyone?). Going to be interesting, isn't it?

Keith Oates

Janner
I would be suprised if Armstrong will be in a position to take the leaders job away from Contador unless Contador crashes or picks up some other injury or sickness. I also think that if Contador shows the good form, Armstrong will acknowledge that and support him in the race.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
If Astana go tits up ( probable) and Lance Livestrong starts his own team, he may find that if his old bones can't do the business in the Tour, then he'll need a GC leader. Basso possibly if he finds that he can compete at the very top even without sending bags of blood to Spain or, more likely, Contador if he wants his team to actually win.

yello

John the Monkey said:
Going to be interesting, isn't it?

Oh yes! And the conjecture is one of the best parts of it!

Keith, I dunno. Part of my purpose for raising the question is that the Astana situation is far from clear and maybe even further from over. LA has stated ambitions to run a team. He is (apparently) not being paid. That he could attract the sponsorship is beyond doubt, imo. I reckon you'd get pretty short odds on Astana becoming Livestrong-Nike in the near future.

Lord only knows what LAs thinking now, or what he wants to achieve, or how it fits in with his future plans, but it just doesn't square with me that he'd willingly play 2nd, or even 3rd behind Levi, fiddle. And where's the 'cancer awareness'? I thought that was what his comeback was about? I reckon there's a bigger picture.

I was genuinely surprised how well LA rode in the Giro. I was half expecting him to be an also-ran when he actually turned in a creditable performance. Very creditable under the circumstances (lack of training, the shoulder injury). Who knows, maybe there's life left in those old legs?

Suffice to say, I shall be watching Stage 1 (the Monaco TT) with extreme interest. And it wont just be for the performance of Wiggins and Millar!

SheilaH

It isn't so much of a question of who has been picked as who hasn't.

Where is Chris Horner???? if you look at who's in it's pretty clear that Horner (an Armstrong man) has been dropped in favour of Contador's choice...Sergio Paulinho.

I think that tells you where the weighting of the team is in terms of leadership. (and it ain't larnce)

yello

It's a good point Sheila. Had Contador gone to Garmin (as that article I linked to pointed out) then Paulinho would have gone with him. But then Benjamin Noval isn't selected and he's a rider Contador may have preferred to have had with him. Who knows? It's going to be very interesting to see if Astana manages to function as a team!

Top Bottom