techie help needed with notepad

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

purpleR

Guru
I'm a bit stumped with notepad this evening: I'm trying to edit some html files and every time I try to save them, all the formatting disappears. This is making the files nigh on impossible to work on. Never had this problem before - can anyone help?
Or suggest another programme to use?
Ta.

Maz

Guru
purpleR said:
I'm a bit stumped with notepad this evening: I'm trying to edit some html files and every time I try to save them, all the formatting disappears. This is making the files nigh on impossible to work on. Never had this problem before - can anyone help?
Or suggest another programme to use?
Ta.
Try Wordpad. Sometimes where Notepad does not retain formatting, Wordpad will. Not saying it will fix your problem, but give it a go.

OP
OP
purpleR

purpleR

Guru
Thanks Maz - wordpad is better but still some probs with formatting. I have hit on the slightly clunky solution of putting a return character at the start of each line, then saving it - works for now. Fortunately the files aren't too long!
Cheers.

Maz

Guru
purpleR said:
Thanks Maz - wordpad is better but still some probs with formatting. I have hit on the slightly clunky solution of putting a return character at the start of each line, then saving it - works for now. Fortunately the files aren't too long!
Cheers.
Better still, try it in MS Word, perhaps.

derall

Guru
If you're editing any sort of code - whether markup like HTML and LaTeX, or any programming code - download a (free) copy of Notepad Plus (N++) from the SourceForge. Preserves all indentation, templates for every type of code you've ever heard of and then some, colour-codes all the different code elements, saves as plain text. Also available as a PortableApp so that you can run it from a USB stick.

OP
OP
purpleR

purpleR

Guru
Now up and running with notepad++, so I won't have to give myself repetitive strain injury putting in all those returns. Cheers!

Top Bottom