Telling porkies is naughty

Joffey

Veteran
It's a prerequisite to be a Tory PM - May's lie that we would be leaving in March was a good one.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Because if the poster had said 350 million (gross), that would have been fine.
Or if the poster had said 175 million per week, everyone would have said to themselves, "Hmm, only 175 million, that's not too bad; if it was much more than that, we wouldn't be getting good value."

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I will laugh as hard as anyone when he has to give evidence in court, Boris has made a whole career built on lies. But if any politician who has ever lied had to go to court there would be no one in government ever.

No politician has ever been prosecuted for this. It does seem like the top of a very slippery slope if p

Levo-Lon

Guru
I will laugh as hard as anyone when he has to give evidence in court, Boris has made a whole career built on lies. But if any politician who has ever lied had to go to court there would be no one in government ever.

No politician has ever been prosecuted for this. It does seem like the top of a very slippery slope if p

Are we talking lies though?
They never say or answer anything with a yes or no.

I think they'll all get off with a pay rise and a promotion

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
And let's not even consider Trump and his Republican (Tory a la Americain) co-conspirators, who have coined the term "alternative facts" to gild their many, many, fabrications.
Has the term ever been used as a defence in court, though? I think any lawyer would be able to demonstrate to a court that an alternative fact is indistinguishable from a lie.

I think this is a slippery slope, which doesn't have much chance and sets a bad precedent. However it's Boris, so I'm suspending my slippery slope argument while I watch him wriggle and if it makes politicians pause before they speak a 'truth' then all well and good.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Has the term ever been used as a defence in court, though? I think any lawyer would be able to demonstrate to a court that an alternative fact is indistinguishable from a lie.
It doesn't have to stand up in court, because court proceedings would be viewed by his followers as "persecution"(read justice) by "deep state" (read sane) elements attempting to promote a "coup"(read democratic process.)

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
The £350 million poster issue is like the Lib Dem's university fees promise or Hilary Clinton's email server. Its significance is exaggerated by people who don't really care particularly about the point. £350 million sounds like a lot of money, so does £175 million. I don't remember ever seeing the poster, and would not known whether it was too much or not. Our EU payments is about 1% of government expenditure, and may be worth it in reduced tariffs and smoother trade. So maybe it's more of a porky not to put the figure in that context. Boris is not being done for that, though. He's being done for not taking the rebate, payments to farmers, research funding, etc off the bill.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Jacob Rees-Mogg is "troubled" by this.

David Davies calls it "deeply sinister".

I find their attitude curious. After all, one of the things they were so keen to protect with their Leave the EU project was an independent judiciary?

Or is that only for other people?

Top Bottom