Tents

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brains

Legendary Member
Budget ?

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I can heartily recommend the Terra Nova Laserlarge 3 for 2 people. Roomy, light, great porch and reliable. Circa £300-£350.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I can't honestly claim to have tried hundreds of other tents, but I can recommend the Vaude Ferret I ultralight.

Weighs under 2kg all up (and you can get it down to about 1.7 if you leave the bag and the spare pegs at home), goes up very quickly, even in a strong wind. Inner and fly go up together, which is a huge bonus if it's raining. It's not the roomiest tent in the world, but the two of us and all our non-waterproof stuff can fit in OK.

We also tried a Saunders Jetpacker plus and found that the shape made it rather cramped. A tunnel is a much better shape.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Vaude Taurus Ultralight works for us on the OMM & the like.
Havn't cycle camped in years - but if we did, we take that one.
Bit smaller than the Ferret - similar colour, very unobtrusive for wild camping. Farmer came within 100 mtrs of us last year, never even saw us.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
It might be worth bearing in mind the height, Gerry. It's nice at our great age to be able to sit up inside at least.

OP
OP
Gerry Attrick

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Thanks RichP. It hadn't escaped my attention as a few weeks ago, I camped in the Yorkshire Dales during a reunion with an old friend. I used an old back packing tent which hadn't seen the light of day for maybe 15 years. I'm damned if I could remove/replace my trousers in it! What happened to the suppleness of youth?

It may or may not be important to you but I'd consider outer first pitching, then inner or both together. Nowt worse than a soaked inner.

JackE

Über Member
I would recommend the Hilleberg Nallo 2 for cycle camping, it's probably the best tent I've ever owned. It is a bit over budget but you might get a discounted one on the Internet. The quality is superb (a friend has had his for around 15 years). Sometimes it is nice to blow the budget and treat yourself to the best.

OP
OP
Gerry Attrick

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
JackE said:
I would recommend the Hilleberg Nallo 2 for cycle camping, it's probably the best tent I've ever owned. It is a bit over budget but you might get a discounted one on the Internet. The quality is superb (a friend has had his for around 15 years). Sometimes it is nice to blow the budget and treat yourself to the best.
I've been looking at the Nallow 2GT in some detail. I can find no negative comments anywhere so it is certainly a "maybe" despite the hefty price tag.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Pity you didn't ask a week and a half ago.
F&T were selling Nallo2 for £300 (and Nallo2GT @£350, Akto @£200), but all gone now.
Under current ownership they do give occasional very good value sale items.

They are offering the Terra Nova Solar 2.2 Ultralight for £300. 2.1kg, inner first pitching, but nice once it's up.

smeg

Crackle said:
It may or may not be important to you but I'd consider outer first pitching, then inner or both together. Nowt worse than a soaked inner.
It's ok if you wear a waterproof hat in your tent :thumbsup: you get your hair wet otherwise when you sit up. In theory you'd unclip the inner and pack it seperately from the outer, and pitch the outer first when re-pitching, in practice though it's too much faff so you wont bother. I just stuff the inner+outer in a compression sack (big ziplock bag) and kneel on it to get the air out and seal it. The poles n' pegs go in my pack seperately (backpacking). If you're camping when it's continually raining and/or with condensation (in Autumn/Winter) the inner will get wet anyway eventually. I don't want to fanny around with the tent when I've been cycling or hiking all day and it's raining, getting dark, am cold, am hungry, need to rest, need a cup of coffee... I can pitch my tent in a couple of minutes just by pegging in 3 pegs at the back and 2 at the front, depending on how nasty the weather is depends on whether I peg out the guylines and that doesn't take long.

Top Bottom