Tents

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snowy10

HI,
Are Northface tents the best quality and the lightest. It would be used for touring winter and summer.
Thanks

Brains

Legendary Member
I run an Explorer Scout Group.

We have a selection of US The North Face hike tents, VE25's, MTN 24's WestWinds, Tadpoles etc.

We also have a selection of UK Terra Nova hike tents, Trisar, Quasar, Hyperspace.

They are all very good top of the range tents, over engineered, bomb proof, will stand up in anything, geodesic poles, light enough to carry in a rucksack or pannier, good in mud, rain and snow, winter and summer.

That said:
In terms of quality of build, I think TNF have the marginal edge over TN
In terms of weight when comparing like with like, then TN have the edge over TNF

There is a noticable difference in design. The TNF tents all have short fly's which if you are pitching in snow is vey good, but not so good when pitching in rain as water can run under the tent

The TN tents have the longer flys and so better in typical Northern European winter wether, ie rain and mud.

So in summary, if I was after a 2 man lightweight hike tent, with geodesic poles, suitable for year round hiking/cycle touring in Northern Europe I personally would buy something from the Terra Nova Quasar range. That said my second choice with the same spec would be someting from the Mountain 24 The North Face range. (1kg heavier)

willem

Über Member
My vote goes to either Hilleberg or Helsport. They are more expensive, but I do believe they both represent better quality than most TNF or TN tents. I think the Helsport Pro and Extreme ranges are as good as if not better than Hilleberg. Hilleberg is the more expensive of the two, however, but may have just what you need.
Willem

Randochap

Senior hunter
I've used many tents for both cycling and mountaineering.

You certainly get what you pay for and North Face are a fine product. So are MSR and Sierra Designs.

If you tour alone a 1-person shelter with vestibule is adequate. I've survived the rainforests of the British Columbia coast in a diminutive tent from MSR.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Comfort and space can also come into the equation Snowy. The smallest and lightest may be too small for enjoyment. I have a Terra Nova Laserlarge 3 which weighs in at 2kg but is big enough for 2 people and has enough headroom to sit up comfortably..
Just a thought.

jay clock

Massive member
I have a North Face which has many strengths - a very clever design and easy to put up. It is a 2-3 person one which I used alone and had acres of space

However it is heavy (2.7kg), the poles are long when packed (perhaps 40-45cm) and most significanctly the floor appears to be made from the same material as the flysheet, hence you really need an additional groundsheet to stop water and to generally protect it.

I now have a Decathlon T2 Ultralight Pro. A 2 person tent but ideal for 1. 1.8kg, tough enough floor, and packs up tiny.

If anyone is interested I may be selling the North Face - see here http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/pic/?o=RrzKj&pic_id=260728&v=A8&size=large

xilios

Veteran
willem said:
My vote goes to either Hilleberg or Helsport. Willem

X2
My wife and I are in the market for a three person tent and will be going for either the Hilleberg or Helsport.
We like the tunnel tents for the large vestibule where we can store all our gear and cook our meals in bad weather.
Kind of leaning towards the Helsort, I think it has more vantilation.
We need to get some more information before the final decision.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Whllst the Hilleberg and Helsport tents are very good, you need to keep all this in perspective. For cycle touring, even in crap conditions, you don't NEED either of those brands. If saving up for one is going to prevent you actually going cycling touring, then get a cheaper tent and go sooner!

It's not as if they are absolutely perfect tents either. Sometimes being able to quickly separate the fly from the inner when packing up is handy in wet weather and if going somewhere hot / buggy, the mesh inners on the NF tents makes them a much better choice as you will be able to breath at night when zipped in the inner. It's horses for courses.

The TN Solar 2 and Solar 2+2 are great cycling tents for 1 or 2 people respectively which will last for years. Make sure if you spend more than this sort of money, that you are getting real value from it being 'better'. Don't make tent buying into a 'Hi Fi Buff' type exercise.

willem

Über Member
The question was about the best quality for touring in conditions that include winter. If that is what the OP wants, I do believe Hilleberg and Helsport are hard to beat. Even then, you will have to take conditions into account. If you are expecting a really heavy snowload or intend to pitch the tent high up in the mountains, a tunnel may not be the best design. Both makes have alternatives, however.
We used a Hilleberg Keron 4 GT as our family cycle touring tent when the kids were young. It survived a decade of abuse and rough weather (it died on my daughter's sports camp...), but we now have a 3.8 kg Nammatj 3 GT for my wife and myself. I just bought a 2.6 kg Helsport Rondane 3 for my son. The latter tent is not only much lighter, but also rather smaller (and lower). The Nammatj 3 gt will fit three in a pinch, but the Rondane 3 will not, really. It is a great and roomy two person tent, however, with clever details such as the ventilation system. I look forward to more touring with my son. I am so impressed by the tent that I am thinking of getting a Ringstind 2 Light as a 1.8 kg solo tent.
Willem

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Another vote for Hilleberg here. Ours has already been in gale force winds and rain like stair rods without problems and it is less than six months old. I will also say that their after-sales service is superb. Ours came without a door-tape, but we had one foc within days of e-mailing Sweden. Superb.

Top Bottom