Terranova - anyone see it ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
I watched Terranova last night, both episodes, and was, well, underwhelmed by it.. a mishmash of Lost/Jurassic Park/That BBC programme about colonists on a distant planet/Other epics...

The effets were weak, the characterisation non-existent, and the plot lame ...

But, hey-ho, I'll watch it next week to see if it gets any better :smile:

Review from the Gruaniad here

Anyone else see it ?

twobiker

The idea that going back in time and taking all the things that contribute to the end of the world with you is crazy, cars and guns and americans , a recipe for disaster.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
I watched 20 mins of it. Can't believe they spent millions on this. It rips off Star Trek: All Our Yesterdays in which the Enterprise crew encounter a doomed civilisation using a time -portal to escape into their own past...sounds familiar?. It's a rather dull mix of Jurassic Park, Swiss Family Robinson with that bloke from Avatar. The FX are a bit dodgy too. And what about the mind-mangling time paradox they are setting up?. They obviouly haven't read Ray Bradbury:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Sound_of_Thunder

machew

Veteran
It's set in an alternative timeline (thus avoiding paradoxes caused by reverse-flow time travel).

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Even if they are in a parallel universe, they'll still screw up that timeline by arriving and interacting with the environment. Poor alternate Earth - buggered up by colonists arriving!. Reminds me of the ending of the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy in which we are, supposedly, all descended from telephone cleaners and accountants!.

Still, the series is pants. A bit like Stargate Universe (mercifully cancelled). Hopefully it won't make it to a second season.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
Maybe its just me but as a sci fi fan I find myself longing for the days of Star Trek: DS9 (even Voyager), Babylon 5, Xena, Hercules, Stargate SG1 etc. Ok they didnt look as good as Stargate Universe or Terra Nova but at least they new how to entertain and have fun. It seems ever since Lost and Battlestar Galactica (Which WAS really good) all sci fi shows have to be ultra serious with long (uninteresting) arcs and long episodes where not much actually happens each week and you tune in next week merely to see if anything is actually going to happen.

Or maybe Im becoming a grumpy old man, come back Star Trek Enterprise, all is forgiven! :biggrin:

Top Bottom