Texas Big Freeze

MichaelW2

Veteran
The whole of the Southern USA is freezing under a polar vortex but Texas seemed to have grasped the mucky end of the stick. Their public utilities are underfunded and unfit, politicians are using the oppertunity to blame renewables despite actual evidence they are not to blame. People seem unprepared and poor black people especially seem to have been taken by surprise and resorting to queing in the cold to get basic foods at supermarkets, despite week of advance warning.
One city mayor told his folks that the strong will survive and the weak will perish.

Oldhippy

Über Member
Yet another example of climate change, and the totally unrealistic way a lot of American's view the world.

ebikeerwidnes

Über Member
Apparently Texas insists on having its own power network - whereas the rest of the contiguous USA uses either the 'East' or West' version - which are supervised by the Federal organisations
The Texas version had problems a few years ago and the Federal agency had a look at it and made some recommendations - but could not enforce them - so they were ignored - or maybe 'not implemented' would be kinder
One of them was protection against bad weather!

A politician has said that Texans would rather have power cuts than more regulation

wonder how many Texans he has checked that with recently!!!

ebikeerwidnes

Über Member
That's because some powerful people in Texas believe it can secede from the USA.
I seem to remember reading somewhere a long time ago that it is the only state that is allowed to do so without asking permission
something about the terms it negotiated when they joined the USA rather than Mexico

I could be talking (typing) total rubbish here!!!

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I had the honour of sharing a urinal with Bill Hicks before his gig at Birmingham Uni many eons ago. This was the second of the two times I watched him perform and you could see where his act was going - a lot of his earlier stuff hasn't aged particularly well but it was groundbreaking at the time. A real shame he died so young.

Back slightly on topic, but wasn't Bill Hicks brought up in Austin, where Texas keeps its libruls?

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Apparently Texas insists on having its own power network - whereas the rest of the contiguous USA uses either the 'East' or West' version - which are supervised by the Federal organisations
The Texas version had problems a few years ago and the Federal agency had a look at it and made some recommendations - but could not enforce them - so they were ignored - or maybe 'not implemented' would be kinder
One of them was protection against bad weather!

A politician has said that Texans would rather have power cuts than more regulation

wonder how many Texans he has checked that with recently!!!
Still not even half as bad as yearly blackouts in summer in California hehehe

Eziemnaik

Über Member
The most powerful empire in the world...
The best country in the world...
The shining city on the hill...
I can't help but to wonder if Roman Empire was suffering from blackouts and crumbling infrastructure circa 450AD

about 10 years ago in another cold snap, they were warned to winterize, which they didn't do. but we should be nice. what they are going thru has the potential to be a mass casualty event. climate change is nothing to kid ourselves about. cpl yrs ago 2014-15 we had a bad winter up here, but it had the potential to get even worse. never got as bad as what they just went thru down there, no heat, no water, little food, transportation in bad shape. saddest story about the grandmother & her grandchildren. the leaders down there need to step up to the plate

related, but not, I had a chance to relocate there & worked there for a month, when I was in my 20s, 40+ yrs ago. stayed in Dallas & drove to Galveston for a weekend. unaware of the politics, it seemed like a nice enough place to live

Last edited:
Top Bottom