Texting on a horse!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bicycle

I saw a new thing yesterday.

In the Hereforsdshire lanes, two girls were out on horses. I was pootling in a family car, having dropped a boy off at an activity.

Two girls on horses were almost stationary and two-abreast ahead of me. I slowed, then almost stopped and rolled along a distance behind them, thinking they'd hear the diesel burbling away.

There was room to pass a single rider, but not two. Nothing.

Eventually, one saw me and they got in line. The one who hadn't see me was..... TEXTING.

I dropped a window and said that although I loved to see horses out on the roads there are those who don't and that texting while riding might annoy drivers who are anti-horse. I got a smile and a thank you, which was nice.

I took my younger boy to a local stable later that day and saw... the same two girls coming back from their hack. Ooops! I was in a different car, but I think I was spotted.

But really... Texting while riding a horse in dangerous country lanes!

Is this a first?

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
well i never... Harrumph! ... they should be banned from riding.

oldroadman

Veteran
Nobody should be texting whilst in "control" of a vehical or animal (even less "control") out on the road. Simply potty, can't they leave their phones alone for a SECOND?
What you experienced was the removal of attention from their surroundings, imagine the effect on others when the "driver" of a 44 tonne truck does the same, never mind someone in their Corsa/Mini/(insert any car here).

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
It only takes a split second for something to happen - or for something to happen and you only have a split second to react appropriately. The girl's horse could have shied at something in the hedge and she could have been dumped on the tarmac. Or her horse could have bolted off ... or a whole host of other scenarios.

Everyone who uses the roads has, IMHO, a duty of care to other road users and should act in a responsible and appropriate manner, and that includes leaving the phone well alone.

so what if drivers get upset by horses..let the drivers wait...a few seconds of their life is worth it for the safty of the riders and horses. Its this same view that gets so many cyclists injured each year. Cars can wait IMO.

To right .... i see far too many school run mums overtake me at the very last second and then brake for traffic lights. Duh!! :wacko:

OP
OP
B

Bicycle

Well that told me - and probably quite rightly too.

Most of the comments were directly (or by implication) supportive of the texting, two-abreast equestrian and critical of me.

I can't post something on this forum and then grumble about the response. It's all fair comment and is taken on board.

I should add that as a countrydweller some of whose family ride in these lanes, I am quite happy to see horses on the road. I see them often while driving and when cycling - and have cycled past my own family members out for a hack. I happen not to ride horses, but I have no issue with them.

My issue was with the discourteous behaviour of the outer rider, who was texting and moving at sub-walk speed in a narrow lane, oblivious to approaching traffic. I posted about it because I'd never seen anything like it. I found it remarkable.

I wasn't in a hurry and I did wait. Honking or revving the engine weren't an option, because these things can upset horses and riders. I just waited a reasonable distance behind the riders with the diesel burbling away. Once past, I spoke to the riders and they took my words in good part and with a smile. No rage, no-one was rattled. I didn't pass (slowly) until we'd had eye contact, one horse had moved over and I was able to go by at tickover in second gear, as I always do with horses.

On the (jokey?) point about a horse being able to 'keep an eye on stuff' - this was unusual. Even horses quite accustomed to being around traffic cannot safely be left to make their own 'decisions'. I think I see the distinction that was being drawn between living creatures and machines. However, by paying no attention to the road, the rider was putting herself and others at risk. No equestrian would condone riding a horse on public roads while not paying full attention to the traffic and not in control of the beast.

Nonetheless, I cannot argue (for long) with a majority verdict. I am fairly judged an impatient road user who objects to being held up for ten seconds while out driving and is rattled by companionable riding. Drat!! I am uncovered!

I pay road tax. :laugh:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Some people are just addicted to texting (messaging/tweeting/liking/emailing/whatever).

My niece has better comms links than GCHQ - I've watched her juggling 2 mobiles (one for calls, one for texts), a cordless landline phone, twitter, facebook, MS Messenger and email, all at the same time.

She has a 3,000 texts a month contract and often gets through that by about the 20th of the month! 150 texts a day - they are slaves to their mobiles! She actually admitted it to me the last time I saw her. She said she would risk total isolation and exclusion from her peer group if she switched her phones off for more than a few minutes but wishes that she could.

When I was at university, I would write 4 or 5 page letters to my friends and family a couple of times a month. Nowadays, young people seem to send a one word text, or a one line text every couple of minutes - very much quantity rather than quality. The technology is amazing, but so much of what is done with it is pretty sad. Such as texting while you are riding a horse in the countryside! :wacko:

Top Bottom