Thanks to the cyclists of the A24

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I'm not sure how so many of you knew i was perfectly fine fixing a flat tyre on the side of the road in the pouring rain.
Not a single person muttered a word to me yet alone show a second look.

You need bigger boobs...

As Easy As Riding A Bike

To be fair, I imagine you looked like you knew exactly what you were doing.

Still, at least it would have been nice to have some verbal support
whistling.gif

Tynan

Veteran
To be fair, I imagine you looked like you knew exactly what you were doing.

Still, at least it would have been nice to have some verbal support
whistling.gif

I usually get offered help only when it's apparent that I don't need any and am nearly finished

That said people do ask if I'm ok but there's that many ride by I suppose the percentage might be tiny

sarf london scumbags?

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I usually get offered help only when it's apparent that I don't need any and am nearly finished

That said people do ask if I'm ok but there's that many ride by I suppose the percentage might be tiny

sarf london scumbags?

If i wasn't on the busy superhighway i wouldn't have seen so many cyclists go past and i wouldn't have minded if i saw the odd cyclist go past.
TFL say that 500 cyclists use it every hour during commuting times. I was stopped for around 15mins so thats around 125 that should have gone by (wasn't near that many, near 60).
the only help i would have wanted is for someone else to pump when my arms get tired :tongue: but i just went to a near by shop and used their track pump.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I'm not sure how so many of you knew i was perfectly fine fixing a flat tyre on the side of the road in the pouring rain.
Not a single person muttered a word to me yet alone show a second look.
you should have been on Bedford Road. Susie and I stopped and sorted a young man out with an inner tube.

You probably did look like you were in control - and I'd have simply asked if you had everything you needed. The young man in Bedford Road was walking with a flat.

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
Ditto. I got one this morning. A couple of people asked if I was OK, but only a mile or two from work, I decided to fix at lunchtime.
A rear wheel flat on a Brompton is a GRUBBY job, and I'd rather be near soap and hot water.

C

chillyuk

Much of my cycling is rural, leisure and not commuting, and the couple of occasions I have been repairing my bike on the side of the road just about every cyclist (all two of them) who went past asked me if I was OK. It works the other way as well, I always check out cyclists on the side of the road just in case.

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Ditto. I got one this morning. A couple of people asked if I was OK, but only a mile or two from work, I decided to fix at lunchtime.
A rear wheel flat on a Brompton is a GRUBBY job, and I'd rather be near soap and hot water.
This is why I carry some workshop gloves to keep my hands clean ;)

davefb

Guru
This is why I carry some workshop gloves to keep my hands clean ;)

good idea ;)..

have to say, after seeing two cyclists with flats when i was driving last week

i've added a 'spare set' of 'bike tools/repair kit' for the car (cheap from lidl ;) )so i can at least offer to help! tbh they looked like they had kits ( or at least a lot of bike stuff) so were probably walking to destination...

mgarl10024

Über Member
What do most people do when they stop?

Obviously, you ask the person what they need. But is your average cyclist in need of help...
a) someone who knows what they are doing but haven't brought the kit (and so probably doesn't want you hanging around, watching over their shoulder)
b) someone who hasn't a clue and needs it doing for them?

Do most of you stop and simply hand over a cheapy puncture repair kit if they look ok and let them get on with it, or do you wait/help as required?

MG

What do most people do when they stop?

Obviously, you ask the person what they need. But is your average cyclist in need of help...
a) someone who knows what they are doing but haven't brought the kit (and so probably doesn't want you hanging around, watching over their shoulder)
b) someone who hasn't a clue and needs it doing for them?

Do most of you stop and simply hand over a cheapy puncture repair kit if they look ok and let them get on with it, or do you wait/help as required?

MG

Last time I stopped to help someone they had a flat, no kit and no clue so I did the repair for them.

The time before that I was at the side of the road when someone going past had thier chain snap. He had all the tools, but needed a powerlink which I had.

Both offered payment, but I asked them to pass on the assistance to the next person they saw in need.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
y'day morning in the rain.

I'm cycling up the hill.
Walking in the road (Doh!) downhill in traffic Mr Lycra pushing scott road bike with flat front tyre.
Me, calls across, "Awright? Got everything you need?"
Him "I don't need any fookin help."
Me (thinks) "Well fook you too pal, and I only call you 'pal' becuase you've got a head like a tin of meat"

Now, OK, he sees some bloke in civvies and a silly hat riding a Strida but he doesn't know what I've got in my courier bag/seat pack does he? (700c tube, 26" tube, 16" tube, plus repair kit, plus tools - one bag many bikes) so why the attitude?

People are odd. Roadies are odder. ime.

Top Bottom