That Damn Lovely PF

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BSRU

A Human Being
Last Thursday I had a premature deflation event, which turned out to be caused by a faulty valve.
Whilst changing the tube I had a very close inspection of my front tyre and came to the conclusion that it was probably time to change it as there was a distinct possibility of something sharp making it's way through.
Bought some new tyres, risked Friday and Monday, no problems. New tyres arrived on Monday and planned to install them that evening.
My plan never came to fruition as I was distracted by other things and thought one more day should not be a problem.
Of course the PF decided I was being too cheeky and paid me a visit this lunch time, obviously knowing I would not have time to fix it as I spent most of my lunch time working on our front door lock, as someone had managed to get their key stuck.

One positive thing is the PF visited me just as I reached home, closed the garage door and heard that dreaded hissing sound.

My top priority tonight will be changing tyres.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
That was lucky ! :pump:

I've had a number of visits of the last couple of weeks, changed the old tyres at the weekend to Continental Travel Contacts. Had them on less than 3 days and got another one this morning. Luckily not too far from work so walked the last mile and repaired at lunchtime. Huge piece of glass stuck in the front tyre.

They are supposed to be guaranteed for a year against this sort of thing. Should I be bothered with the hassle of trying to get the tyre replaced or my money back?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
One day last year, I'd been in work till lunch, then needed to go to site - the bike had been in the office. Wheeled it out, had stopped to open doors, then noticed what looked like a slug on the side of the tyre...eh, tried to flick it off, then realised, it was the tube. :stop: God if that had gone off, in an office at 120 PSI :wacko:

OP
OP
BSRU

BSRU

A Human Being
Even though I have two brand new GP 4 Seasons tyres I decided to put the Marathon Plus's back on until at least either the morning or evening commute is no longer in the dark, probably mid-February.
The extra 1.5kg will be good exercise for next year:crazy:.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
My worst PF experience recently was while doing a little 45 miler one pleasant Sunday afternoon this summer just gone.

There I was, 20 miles from home when ... *bang* ... the rear inner tube goes nova (big thorn through the tyre). :huh:

Off bike ("f***ingb***tardsoddingwhythegit ... !!" etc), upside down, wheel off, old tube out, new tube in, pump up, back on bike, off we go.

One mile later ... (I am now 19 miles from home) ... *bang* ... the front inner tube goes nova (big thorn through the wretched tyre!!!) :angry:

Off bike ("I don't believe it, Mr Meldrew!!" etc), upside down, wheel off, old tube out, new tube in, pump up, back on bike, off we go.

One mile later ... (I am now 18 miles from home) ... *bang* ... the NEW front inner tube goes nova. Bloody pinch-flat because muggins didn't put it in properly! :cry:

Cue telephone call to mate with car. :cursing:

OP
OP
BSRU

BSRU

A Human Being
My first commute on Marathon Plus's since last March was not too bad, going from 28c to 37c makes the ride slightly more comfortable but it is harder work, generally using one gear lower.
I cycled the exact same route as yesterday morning with a similar level of traffic and stops, yesterday it took 1 hour and 4 minutes and this morning it took 1 hour and 10 minutes.
It's going to improve my riding strength if nothing else.:thumbsup:

Top Bottom