The acid, corrosive sale ban

Levo-Lon

Guru
So the main retailers are going to stop selling to under 18s..
Surely this should be higher as its teenagers and young men who commit these attacks.

Maybe a proof of ID and address and a you order it with next day collection or week later. " stop impulse attacks "
Treat it like explosives or gun ammo perhaps.

Make it very hard to buy nasty stuff that has no use in normal society.
Bleach and some more commonly used stuff are still dangerous but who needs sulphuric acid and other highly corrosive stuff in their daily lives..

So the main retailers are going to stop selling to under 18s..
Surely this should be higher as its teenagers and young men who commit these attacks.

Maybe a proof of ID and address and a you order it with next day collection or week later. " stop impulse attacks "
Treat it like explosives or gun ammo perhaps.

Make it very hard to buy nasty stuff that has no use in normal society.
Bleach and some more commonly used stuff are still dangerous but who needs sulphuric acid and other highly corrosive stuff in their daily lives..
I take it you've never had a blocked drain ?

Seriously though all these chemicals are sold in builders' yards, industrial suppliers in large quantities for a host of trade or hobbyist / craft purposes quite apart from domestic chemicals like caustic soda. A tiny minority are used for these ghastly attacks, awful though that is. It may be that you are not a pratical person, so are happy to, and can afford to, get a tradesman in for every job, but not everybody is like this. What you're suggesting isn't that different from suggesting a ban on kitchen knives other than for professional chefs

Last edited:
OP
Levo-Lon

Levo-Lon

Guru
I take it you've never had a blocked drain ?

Seriously though all these chemicals are sold in builders' yards, industrial suppliers in large quantities for a host of trade or hobbyist / craft purposes quite apart from domestic chemicals like caustic soda. A tiny minority are used for these ghastly attacks, awful though that is. It may be that you are not a pratical person, so are happy to, and can afford to, get a tradesman in for every job, but not everybody is like this. What you're suggesting isn't that different from suggesting a ban on kitchen knives other than for professional chefs

I have bought many gallons of acid for removing cement etc and unblocked more drains than you can throw a stick at.

The point is kids Dont need it as they dont do drains and anything domestic as a rule.
Do you think its ok for kids to buy it?

I have bought many gallons of acid for removing cement etc and unblocked more drains than you can throw a stick at.

The point is kids Dont need it as they dont do drains and anything domestic as a rule.
Fine to ban sales to kids. The suggestion in the OP was for a ban / strict control going far further than jot selling to kids

Edit: I should add that I did buy a lot of these things as an 11 year old kid because I was mad keen on chemistry and did (legitimate) experiments at home, but my dad was with me supervising the purchase, if not the experiments. This kindled a lifelong interest in science

OP
Levo-Lon

Levo-Lon

Guru
Fine to ban sales to kids. The suggestion in the OP was for a ban / strict control going far further than jot selling to kids

Edit: I should add that I did buy a lot of these things as an 11 year old kid because I was mad keen on chemistry and did (legitimate) experiments at home, but my dad was with me supervising the purchase, if not the experiments. This kindled a lifelong interest in science

Trouble is kids have changed..and i suspect you were a decent kid.

Personally i cant see any reason for young people to buy powerful chemicals over the counter.
Ahh well maybe a lot more lives need to be ruined before common sense determines who can buy these nasty chemicals.

Were not allowed any of them at work.

Bodhbh

Guru
If I had access to conc sulphuric as a kid, I would not be committing acid attacks but I'd definately be up to no good !

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I disagree with the slant the media have put on the story.

The law changed in 2015 relaxing a lot of requirements for the sales of the sort of things we're talking about.

For us it's a bit of a funny one, as it looked like for a while some licensed pharmacists would be selling a lot of the hazardous substances and 'poisons'. I don't think the 'reportable system' works that well from what other people more in the know have said. It seems a postcode lottery. As an employee I'm also supposed to potentially flag up suspicious sales, when we did training, people are going to love this, they wouldn't tell us the substances as that was a secret!

marinyork

What you're suggesting isn't that different from suggesting a ban on kitchen knives other than for professional chefs
You jest, but some retailers will chest thumpingly admonish you about your scepticism. Some already do restrict sales of knives.

In general, the story about chemistry is nice, but I do think you're being a bit obtuse. I suspect you know that in the past when your father bought some of these things that some of them were very highly regulated and I'm pretty sure you know perfectly well a lot of them aren't now. You're just very happy with all the deregulation has gone on and not wanting to give the OP a fuller picture of what it used to be like.

subaqua

What’s the point

I was the one that had to do that as a 17 year old as my dad was unable to.. I can’t be the only one. So as a rule it’s not a rule ...

Once I had finished my apprenticeship I was armed with a van to do general housing maintainance .. which often meant going to Jewsons for nasty chemicals for clearing drains

You jest, but some retailers will chest thumpingly admonish you about your scepticism. Some already do restrict sales of knives.

In general, the story about chemistry is nice, but I do think you're being a bit obtuse. I suspect you know that in the past when your father bought some of these things that some of them were very highly regulated and I'm pretty sure you know perfectly well a lot of them aren't now. You're just very happy with all the deregulation has gone on and not wanting to give the OP a fuller picture of what it used to be like.
All I'm really saying is that these various corrosive substances are overwhellmingly used for everyday legitimimate purposes. I don't know how many (thousands of?) tons of caustic soda are sold each year just for domestic drain unblocking and (severe) cleaning but one 1kg total would have been enough for every attack done. Fair enough don't sell to kids, but a whole lot of other regulation is knee jerk nonsense.

It's very like the knife thing really. Everyone's kitchen has maybe half a dozen knives in it, but the plan is to clamp down on online sales.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Really hefty prison sentences for those using acid to attack people. trying using deterrents at both ends of the spectrum.

Not all these attacks are committed by teenagers and I thing just banning that group, would have little effect. Apart from that it is simple to get hold of if dad has a can of it in the shed for legitimate reasons.

OP
Levo-Lon

Levo-Lon

Guru
Ok its a waste of time then.
Next step is life in prison for an attack and out in 2 i spose.

Though you cant stop nasty people carrying out evil indiscriminate crime.
Personally i'd boil their feet ..as killing them is a none starter

marinyork

It's very like the knife thing really. Everyone's kitchen has maybe half a dozen knives in it, but the plan is to clamp down on online sales.
The retail companies regard it as very much a reputational and PR issue with knives, to a certain extent that is what is happening with some of these companies here.

For me I see it as very similar to gambling liberalisation, where people are now complaining about the consequences.

I think sulphuric acid should go back to a modified version of the old system where you had to be registered with the council to sell it.

The retail companies regard it as very much a reputational and PR issue with knives, to a certain extent that is what is happening with some of these companies here.

For me I see it as very similar to gambling liberalisation, where people are now complaining about the consequences.

I think sulphuric acid should go back to a modified version of the old system where you had to be registered with the council to sell it.
But caustic soda ? Every bit as nasty if you got an eyefull surely?

Top Bottom