The Best Book That You Have Ever Read ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wester

Guru
What was the best book that you have ever read either fiction or non-fiction ?

The best book that i have read was ' The Odessa File ' by Frederick Forsyth it was part fiction and non-fiction

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
You mean "apart from the bible and Shakespeare" ... :angry:

One book I have read more than once is The Past is Myself, but Christabel Bielenberg, and Englishwoman married to a German who lived in Germany from 1934 to 1945. Well written and fascinating.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Shouldn't this be in the Cafe...?

Anyway, it's impossible for me to pick just one book.

In fiction, The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov would be a contender, as would William Faulkner's As I Lay Dying. Also Italo Calvino's Invisible Cities or If on a Winter's Night, a Traveller, Fyodor Doestoyeksky's The Idiot, George Perec's Life, A User's Manual, Halldor Laxness's Independent People and Keri Hulme's The Bone People, Alan Garner's Strandloper, Raymond Carver's What We Talk About When We Talk About Love. I'd also have to consider Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny, Barefoot in the Head by Brian Aldiss. There's many more...

Poetry, Basho's The Narrow Road to Oku (or 'the deep north' depending on which edition you have), Tanikawa Shuntaro's Naked, Milton's Paradise Lost, Chaucer's Canterbury Tales, Seamus Heaney's North, Baudelaire's Les Fleurs du Mal, George Mackay Brown's Fishermen with Ploughs, T.S. Elliot's The Four Quartets...

Non-fiction, The Snow Leopard by Peter Matthiessen, Edward O. Wilson's The Diversity of Life, Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn's The Gulag Archipelago, Douglas Hofstadter's Goedel, Escher, Bach, Ferdinand Braudel'sThe Mediterranean and The Mediterranean World in the Age of Philip II, Christopher Hill's The World Turned Upside Down and Carlo Ginzburg's The Cheese and the Worms would be possibles...

I keep thinking of more...

ChrisKH

Guru
Not the 'best' of books to read, but I recall being hugely affected when I read Night of the Mist by Eugene Heimler as a thirteen year old. It's the autobiographical story of this young man's stay in Auschwitz (and other camps). His first wife was exterminated there but he survived. It should be required school reading along with The Diary of Anne Frank.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Narziss and Goldmund by Hermann Hesse. The only book I've ever read which I thought was a great work of art.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Andy in Sig said:
Narziss and Goldmund by Hermann Hesse. The only book I've ever read which I thought was a great work of art.

You need to read more then! :biggrin:

That's about the only Hermann Hesse work I haven't read, and I am not convinced of his superiority yet, but I will give it a go.

Globalti

Legendary Member
"How to Scam Millions out of Rich Mugu Whites" by Augustus Onyigbo, published by 419 Press, Lagos.

darkstar

Robert Ludlum-The Bourne Identity is amongst my favorite reads, absolutely brilliant, much better than the film.
I have also enjoyed the Charles Dickens novels, my parents own some really old copies, i read Great Expectations, David Copperfield and Oliver Twist over and over at one point.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
I recently read the autobiography about the bloke who invented superglue, as soon as i picked it up i knew i wouldn't be able to put it down.

Top Bottom