The best footballer ever?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
First of all, I have to declare a lack of interest: I can't stand professional football. 22 overpaid, mincing tarts running around and going down like a deflated souffle if somebody from the opposition so much as looks at them.

The only footballer who does not have me instantly reaching for the channel switch is Ryan Giggs. Otherwise they are all indistinguishable mediocrities to me. Then I saw a bloke called Ajun (sp?) Robben who currently plays for Bayern Munich. Better than George Best in his hayday? I can't say he'd make me sit through a whole match but I'm certainly prepared to watch the highlights when he is on. IMO he deserves a commentator worthy of the poetry of his action, say Stuart Hall or the late Bill McLaren (I know: he used to commentate on a proper game but you know what I mean).

If you've not caught this bloke in action he's worth looking out for.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Robben was good, very good, though a little lightweight for the PL. Went down too easy for my liking. But he was a joy to watch. Whilst playing for Chelsea, he could be sublime and maddening in equal measure.

However there where 2 players at Chelsea who in my opinion Robben could only dream to be as good as and that was Pat Nevin and Gianfranco Zola.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Ah, another question along the lines of greatest cyclist. In my opinion it would be Jimmy Greaves, who I had the pleasure of watching him play for Spurs and Barnet, but then again it could be Pele, or even maybe Cantona.

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
Not sure who the best player is/was however, imo the best goal ever was by Paul Gascoigne against Scotland in the errr, 1996? world cup I think!!
He may also qualify as the best player?

8mile

For artistry and entertainment I think Eric Cantona is unbeatable. For professionalism and unerring accuracy (except when tackling!) Paul scholes.

aberal

Guru
Not sure who the best player is/was however, imo the best goal ever was by Paul Gascoigne against Scotland in the errr, 1996? world cup I think!!
He may also qualify as the best player?

I think not! Sir! That was a fluke if ever I saw one :biggrin:

No, the best player ever was Pele.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Diego Armando Maradona.

Forget about the drugs and the hand of God and you have a sublime talent.

ASC1951

Guru
Yes, Maradona for me too. You wouldn't want to meet him socially, but a joy to watch. Of current players, either Luis Figo or a fully fit Didier Drogba.

Certainly not the loathsome diving Christiano Ronaldo.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
di Stefano, because he changed the way football was played and Cruyff, because he founded a dynasty at Barcelona that is still producing one of the best teams in the world.

For sheer, brutal artistry, though, there is only Hristo Stoichkov. Aggressive in the tackle, wonderful running with the ball at his feet, posessed of a powerful shot, and capable of bending better than Beckham.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Considering his physical problems and background, you would have to say that Garrincha is up there.

Robben can be a joy to watch, but he is also uncredibly cynical. Currently, Messi has to take the biscuit, surely? Although several of his Barca teammates are on the same level. Giggs is particulalry amazing considering there are few outfield players playing at his level at his age, let along ones that rely on their speed and skill. Another player whose talents unfortunately never graced the World Cup...

mangaman

First of all, I have to declare a lack of interest: I can't stand professional football. 22 overpaid, mincing tarts running around and going down like a deflated souffle if somebody from the opposition so much as looks at them.

The only footballer who does not have me instantly reaching for the channel switch is Ryan Giggs. Otherwise they are all indistinguishable mediocrities to me. Then I saw a bloke called Ajun (sp?) Robben who currently plays for Bayern Munich. Better than George Best in his hayday? I can't say he'd make me sit through a whole match but I'm certainly prepared to watch the highlights when he is on. IMO he deserves a commentator worthy of the poetry of his action, say Stuart Hall or the late Bill McLaren (I know: he used to commentate on a proper game but you know what I mean).

If you've not caught this bloke in action he's worth looking out for.

I think your self-confessed lack of knowledge of the game has let you down here Andy :whistle:

Robben is one of the most lightweight, cynical, irritating players in the world.

If the question was, which player is most likely to fall down like a deflated souffle he would come in the top 3.
(maybe behind Ronaldo or Pires)

Best player I saw was Maradonna by the way - although Cruyff's Barca legacy (as well as his football skills) alluded to by Dell are a phenomenon.

Grant Holt's a good player too.

U

User169

Maradona of the players I've seen; he won a world cup single-handed which is more that can be said for Pele.

John Charles is the player I'd most like to have seen. World class as a striker and a half back, he was easily the most successful British player to have played overseas, and alongside Boniperti and Sivori fired Juventus to three scudetti. He was voted Juve's best ever overseas player by their fans, not bad considering Platini and Zidane had played for Juve and his scoring record in Italy is nothing sort of sensational given the type of football played there at the time.

OP
OP
Andy in Sig

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I think your self-confessed lack of knowledge of the game has let you down here Andy :whistle:

Robben is one of the most lightweight, cynical, irritating players in the world.

If the question was, which player is most likely to fall down like a deflated souffle he would come in the top 3.
(maybe behind Ronaldo or Pires)

Best player I saw was Maradonna by the way - although Cruyff's Barca legacy (as well as his football skills) alluded to by Dell are a phenomenon.

Grant Holt's a good player too.

You may well be right about my lack of knowledge letting me down. However, going by the highlights of the Bayern game I saw on Sat night, he came across as a brilliant, natural, aggressive, tough and determined player who did to the defence what I have previously only seen Best and Giggs do. I've noticed similar performances from him on previous occasions i.e. there appears to be some consistency there. I'll take your word about him on the souffle front.

Top Bottom