The Big UK Thaw

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gazmercer

I noticed today that although it's still bitterly cold round here, things are starting to slowly thaw. I can hear water running down drains, water is dripping off things. Hopefully it'll warm up a bit more and get rid of all the horrible snow and ice soon.

Wonder how long it'll be before the thaw causes problems and replaces the "Snow" headlines in the news.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
We will soon notice that pot holes and cracks in the roads have gotten worse.

Arch

Married to Night Train
gazmercer said:
I noticed today that although it's still bitterly cold round here, things are starting to slowly thaw. I can hear water running down drains, water is dripping off things. Hopefully it'll warm up a bit more and get rid of all the horrible snow and ice soon.

Wonder how long it'll be before the thaw causes problems and replaces the "Snow" headlines in the news.

Well, the Evening Press had "York Flood Threat" headlines in the middle of last week....

When you think about it, a couple of inches of water lying on everything, all released in a day or two, there are going to be issues...

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I had a very nice foot long icicle hanging from the conservatory rood today and was going to take a pic when I got back from the ride. By the time I got home it had broke off. :tongue:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
It did actually go above zero here* for the first time since last Monday but we're in the middle of another sizable shower. I noticed on other weather stations in the south of england it was getting pretty warm with 2C maximums.

*The local weather station which is not of course the same thing but you have to base it on something.

longers

Legendary Member
There's some big potholes out there, be vigilant!

Then report them.

OP
OP
gazmercer

gazmercer

The drains round here can barely cope when it rains so it could be pretty bad when all the snow and ice thaws. I dread to think what state the roads are in when it does eventually clear though.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Oh, and beware walking on pavements, or cycling next to narrow pavements. Saw a woman narrowly miss getting a nice big lump of snow land on her head from a roof earlier.

Anyway, the thaw may well be temporary, in which case we've got some nice skating rinks to look forward to.

Top Bottom