The Brexit Thread

Discussion in 'News and Current Affairs' started by Spinney, 13 Dec 2017.

1. Spinney

Spinney Bimbleur extraordinaire

(Not quite the same thing as Reg's thread on the economic implications, hence a different thread.)

I just wanted to express my gobsmackedness at David Davis's apparent complete lack of integrety and negotiating ability. A certain lack of integrity I have come to expect from politicians (sadly), but on the scale of such things he seems to have ambitions for some kind of prize.

He seems to have comprehensively lied about impact assessments - and so far there seems to have been little comeback for such lies (a bit like the lies on the side of the bus, I suppose).

He's said agreements made to progress talks are only statements of intent, and had to publically backtrack.

He said the agreement about the Irish border was not legally binding and had to backtrack.

I still have this faint (very, very faint) hope that he's been put there to make such a pigs ear of the whole thing that we end up staying in. A delusion, no doubt, but is he really the best person to be in charge if Brexit really does mean Brexit?

But whether you are a Leaver or Remainer, is anyone happy with the standard of the UK's negotating team?

Rant over, had to get that off my chest.

2. OP
    OP
    Spinney

Well, yes - it's the combination of that and also being the minister in charge of negotiations that I'm becoming increasingly shocked at. In a fairer world he'd be fired for lying to parliament, at the very least.

If anyone listens to the Now Show, their 'David Davis, Master Negotiator' skits were great.

NickNick likes this.
  3. Diogenes

Diogenes Opinions, schminions

This should have been left to professionals in the civil service with the politicians only coming in at the end to sign the deal and smile for the camera.

4. OP
    OP
    Spinney

Unfortunately, the first image that came into my head there was Sir Humphrey Appleby...:wacko:

5. Diogenes

Which would have probably meant absolutely no change in our relationship with the EU, but a lot of committees, a lot of important sounding reports and the public becoming so bored they forgot all about it.

Sounds good to me.

srw, mcshroom, User43827 and 3 others like this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Spinney

Now you put it that way, yes!

Diogenes likes this.
  7. BoldonLad

BoldonLad Über Member

No fan of Davis, well, as a "remainer", I suppose that is no surprise.

However, I am realistic enough to understand that the majority voted "leave", in that situation, IMHO, we have to get the best agreement we can. I do not see how anyone can be expected to negotiate a deal / agreement with the media constantly asking them to show their cards. Seems to me, it is rather like a game of poker where spectators are constantly speculating and leaking the hand of one player.

On that basis, and that basis alone, I have some sympathy with Davis.

I can assure you, it took a great effort on my part to express sympathy with ANY politician!

hoopdriver likes this.
  8. I can't believe the evil EU, protecting the interests in negotiations of their 27 members rather than looking out for our interests. And to top it all, what kind of evil organisation demands we honour what we agree - have they no shame??

Last edited: 13 Dec 2017
  9. Are you happy with what was agreed last week? Do you feel that the playing secret meant that she got a great deal for leavers? Or perhaps maybe a better policy with consensus and oversight would have agreed upon a strategy that would have been beneficial? The EU did this. They were very open as to their aims. And then they walked all over us.

NickNick likes this.
  10. Inertia

Inertia I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!

I get your point but I'm not sure its had that big an impact.

This isn't game of poker, they know what our cards are and we know theirs.

The media have to do their job and hold the government to account, without scrutiny, god only knows what we would end up with.

NickNick likes this.
  11. The poker analogy was a simple ploy perpetuated by the Tories to let TM have full control of the negotiations without any oversight and to belittle Labour.

NickNick and Inertia like this.
  12. Inertia

Indeed,they wanted to do whatever they liked. The last thing they wanted was to be forced to get a *'good' deal which they surely know would be an uphill task.

*closed borders to immigrants with open borders for UK citizens and full access to EU markets with restricted access to UK markets

Last edited: 13 Dec 2017
    NickNick and Markymark like this.
  13. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

classic33 likes this.
  14. Diogenes

Is it the media's job to hold the government to account? I thought that was the job of the opposition party?

hoopdriver, GrumpyGregry and mjr like this.
  15. Inertia

I'd say it's both

User1252 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice