The Brexit Thread

Discussion in 'News and Current Affairs' started by Spinney, 13 Dec 2017.

1. perplexed

perplexed Guru

This militaristic aspect of Brexit appear to be coming a bit of a theme. Yes, I know that that pompous ejit Francoise has been banging on about it for a while, but I wonder if it has filtered down to SYL/TR (whatever) and Farage's foot soldiers more in recent times.

I'm merely thinking outloud, but it's something that's been bubbbling at the back of my mind for a while.

When the pro-Brexit rally took place shortly after the pro-Remain one in London, I saw a few clips on TV. Already noted elsewhere, at the pro-Brexit rally various flags were being waved: the Union Flag (to be expected), the cross of St George (with 'England' written across them, just in case people weren't sure) the Stars and Stripes (odd, I thought, but whatever floats your boat), but I also noticed quite a few 'Help for Heroes' flags.

The thuggery evident outside the court the other day was another case in point. Union Flags, St. George's cross, again, and bizarrely the Stars and Stripes, even more utterly bizarre, the flag of China (?!) but again, there were a few Help for Heroes flags.

I was out and about today, not Sheffield, but Derbyshire. I saw a car parked up with two large BXP Ltd signs in the rear window, Union Flag on the aerial, and a couple of Help for Heroes stickers.

I've also noticed something I don't think I've seen before - the 'Royal Standard' being dangled out of a handful of windows - not many, three or four maybe.

My point is, after my ramblings, that this will be another wedge that Farage et al will drive in the divisions. Couple it with the 'Traitor' tropes - seen on these very boards - and it's another thing to make Leavers angry about. Pure Brexiters - and Farage had been open about wanting to purge the military and civil service of non-believers - will be the ones who honour and revere the armed forces, according to them. After all, Remainers are already 'Traitors', so by not conforming to the Farage orthodoxy, as he and his followers alone can define loyalty to the UK. I saw a copy of the Sun on a news-stand today - the headline was something about Johnson backing/fighting for our Troops (didn't catch the detail, I was too embarrassed to be caught looking at it) - so that tees things up nicely.

If you don't back Johnson/Brexit - and Johnson backs our troops, it must follow that you think the opposite.* This is an easy sell. Brexit means Brexit. Leave means Leave. No Deal No Problem. WTO NOW! They Need Us More Than We Need Them.

With the military situation concerning the Navy/Iranian interaction, I suspect this could be used increasingly - combined with a bit of Royal Fervour.

* Not all Leavers obviously. I know a handful who would not subscribe to this at all, but the ones who lob rocks at the police and attack journalists and SODEM - yes.

Edited to add: The car I mention also had a 'Hard Brexit-NOW!' sticker...

Last edited: 12 Jul 2019
  2. Unkraut

Unkraut Master of the Inane Comment

However, the EU is not to prepared to reopen negotiations on the withdrawal agreement means the EU is prepared to reopen negotitations on the withdrawal agreement.

Especially with a man with the honour and integrity of Boris Johnson, leading a minority government and a split Tory party.

3. marinyork

marinyork Resting in suspended Animation

There are quite a few hard brexit now stickers this side of town. Flags in windows, the odd flag pole, they were always around.

4. Mugshot

Mugshot Cracking a solo.

5. Dec66

Dec66 A gentlemanly pootler, these days

6. Dec66

You know, I grew up on a Merseyside council estate in the 1970s and 1980s. I lived through the ravages of Thatcherism, and spent most of my teen years crapping myself about nuclear annihilation and being beaten to death by gangs on other estates like mine

Never, ever, did I think that when the end came, it would be down to seventeen million racists and a man with a head like a burst mattress who can fart in Latin but is as thick as pigsh!t.

Mr Celine, clog, Dayvo and 9 others like this.
  7. Must have been some Queens at home ;)

Edited to highlight correct paragraph. Bloody mobiles.

Last edited: 12 Jul 2019
    perplexed and Dec66 like this.
  8. Kajjal

Kajjal Veteran

What Johnson’s constituency should do is start a petition and campaign to deselect him as their MP. It is very unlikely he would keep his seat in a general election. He would be the PM who was deselected for the rest of history.

raleighnut, Dayvo, Tanis8472 and 5 others like this.
  9. Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

Interested you raised this.
    fb ‘hobby’ groups I frequent also show a strong correlation between military/ex military/strong help for heroes support being aligned with a vehemently pro-brexit stance.
    It’s like the history of the last 100 years never happened or was never taught....

10. perplexed

perplexed Guru

British exceptionalism again. Apparently, all we have to do is go to Dublin, not Brussels, and 'bribe or threaten' the RoI. Somebody has actually said that outloud on the BBC.

Threaten Ireland.

Andy in Germany likes this.
  11. perplexed

perplexed Guru

Yes. It's kinda been there for a while, but I get the impression recently that the BXP Ltd is actually losing a bit of traction. Not scientific evidence, just an impression - their traffic appears to be slowing on Twitter (unless it's just a public holiday in the Russian bot factories). There's definately been a period of relative quiet from them.

So this will be the next thing - BXP Ltd MEPs going on about treating foreign fishing vessels by the Navy like they are an enemy warship (Belgrano has been mentioned), so the next lever will be veterans. 'We flag wave for you, we support you, not like those treacherous Remainers...'. You can see it coming a mile off.

Edit: typo

Last edited: 13 Jul 2019
    Fab Foodie, C R and Andy in Germany like this.
  12. Kajjal

Kajjal Veteran

What they are suggesting is Ireland give up all their bargaining power, leave the EU and become a vassal state. Almost 90% in recent polling in Ireland said they wished to remain in the EU. It just more extreme posturing to deflect from answering the real issues Brexit creates.

13. Agreed, but the very fact they think this is acceptable in national television shows that British Exceptionalism is alive and well.
    Just out of interest, what happened after this clip? Was he actually challenged?

Kajjal and C R like this.
  14. Dec66

It's the BBC.

So to answer your question: "was he balls".

perplexed and Andy in Germany like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice