The Brexit Thread

raleighnut

Guru
Oh dear, the mentality of one of our leaders:sad:.
Jacob Rees-Mogg insists on staff using imperial units, ITV News says
The new leader of the House of Commons has issued a list of banned words and phrases to his staff, according to Paul Brand of ITV News. Part of his style guide is for his staff to use imperial, rather than metric units.
Aye those pesky Europeans, give em an inch and they'll take a Kilometre.

perplexed

Guru

perplexed

Guru
Just seen a brief clip on Euronews - apparently Johnson has 'told' Angela Merkel that the Irish Backstop 'must go'.

It's almost like the last three years haven't happened isn't it?

Of course, the real target of the sabre-rattling rhetoric is the British Public. It'll give them something to spout about in BBC vox-pops.

Francois is going to explode with excitement as it gives him something more to fuel the Second World War fantasy which constantly runs on a film reel in his head.

mudsticks

Über Member
Shame most of them voted for it whilst still trousering the EU subsidies. :cursing:
Some did, some didn't fall for it.

Some believed they would carry on getting the same payments from UK gov, after Brexit, as they got from EU.

Kinda dumb, but that was the line the NFU was pushing.

The only upside for direct sales (no EU payments) farmers like me, is that now (at last) people are enquiring as to where there food comes from, who grows and harvests it, and how, what happens if we don't have frictionless trade, after brexit.

I'm no fan of Brexit, I think we should have stayed in (despite getting no EU money myself ) as the upsides far outweigh the downsides.

There is going to be a lot of trouble in the countryside, once area payments stop.

There haven't been production subsidies for years btw - hence you no longer hear of butter mountains, or wine lakes.. They changed the farmer support scheme to put an end to that back in 2002 iirc - the current area payments scheme has many flaws too- hence the CAP is being reformed )

Unless there is a massive upsurge in loyalty to British produce, and a willingness to pay the true cost of production.
And to eat seasonally again.

Farmers who have been living off EU money, whilst just about covering the cost of their commodity production, wil go out of business.

And the growers who can no longer import hardworking, skilled seasonal labour, to harvest their speciality crops

Meanwhile we can import stuff from the States or wherever..

But why is it so cheap from there?? I hear you cry.

Go to those mega farms, in those countries, see their production methods, unregulated pesticide and herbicide use, look at their farmed landscape, see their degraded soils, near slave labour picking the fruit and veg, depleted and polluted watersources, abominal animal welfare, and so on..

Then you'll see why it's so cheap - all the costs are externalised, onto someone, or something else..

This is why EU Ag is regulated (somewhat) and their markets protected..

Bye bye all that.

Last edited:

raleighnut

Guru
Some did, some didn't fall for it.

Some believed they would carry on getting the same payments from UK gov, after Brexit, as they got from EU.

The only upside for direct sales (no EU payments) farmers like me, is that now (at last) people are enquiring as to where there food comes from, who grows and harvests it, and how, what happens if we don't have frictionless trade, after brexit.

I'm no fan of Brexit, I think we should have stayed in (despite getting no EU money myself ) as the upsides far outweigh the downsides.

There is going to be a lot of trouble in the countryside, once area payments stop.

There haven't been production subsidies for years btw - hence you no longer hear of butter mountains, or wine lakes.. They changed the farmer support scheme to put an end to that back in 2002 iirc - the current area payments scheme has many flaws too- hence the CAP is being reformed )

Unless there is a massive upsurge in loyalty to British produce, and a willingness to pay the true cost of production.
And to eat seasonally again.

Farmers who have been living off EU money, whilst just about covering the cost of their commodity production, wil go out of business.

And the growers who can no longer import hardworking, skilled seasonal labour, to harvest their speciality crops

Meanwhile we can import stuff from the States or wherever..

But why is it so cheap from there?? I hear you cry.

Go to those mega farms, in those countries, see their production methods, unregulated pesticide and herbicide use, look at their farmed landscape, see their degraded soils, near slave labour picking the fruit and veg, depleted and polluted watersources, abominal animal welfare, and so on..

Then you'll see why it's so cheap - all the costs are externalised, onto someone, or something else..

This is why EU Ag is regulated (somewhat) and their markets protected..

Bye bye all that.
Yep, that's the big question.

Do we pay the true cost individually or collectively (through tax/subsidies)

Mind you I'm one of those 'old fashioned' people that cook most meals from 'scratch' (I even make my own sarnies) but I do like using ingredients grown in Spain/Italy* in my cooking (but only when they're not in season yet here)

* Not Asparagus though, it only really develops any flavour in our climate and the best Lettuce is grown in the 'Lancashire Triangle' but that's available all year round (although that may be scarce for a bit as I bet it has all 'bolted' in this heat)

Diogenes

brr, summer's over

In the run up to the Scottish independence vote there were a series of hustings covered by Radio Scotland and I listened to the Aberdeenshire one in the car. A number of farmers were asking what would happen to their EU subsidies in the interim period between Scotland leaving the UK and joining the EU. The reply was the Scottish Government would match the funding. There was derisory laughter from the room and when the SNP spokesman was asked if he had figures, he changed the subject. A couple of days later I happened to be talking to a farmer colleague in Stranraer and he had also heard the hustings and queried his NFU rep. The NFU guy gave a figure that was barely one twentieth of the true amount. My colleague reckoned Dumfries & Galloway alone received more subsidies than the SNP were calculating for all of Scotland, which is kinda daft because the subsidies are public record (approx £1bn pa for Scotland)

So maybe this is where the farmers started being misinformed.

raleighnut

Guru
In the run up to the Scottish independence vote there were a series of hustings covered by Radio Scotland and I listened to the Aberdeenshire one in the car. A number of farmers were asking what would happen to their EU subsidies in the interim period between Scotland leaving the UK and joining the EU. The reply was the Scottish Government would match the funding. There was derisory laughter from the room and when the SNP spokesman was asked if he had figures, he changed the subject. A couple of days later I happened to be talking to a farmer colleague in Stranraer and he had also heard the hustings and queried his NFU rep. The NFU guy gave a figure that was barely one twentieth of the true amount. My colleague reckoned Dumfries & Galloway alone received more subsidies than the SNP were calculating for all of Scotland, which is kinda daft because the subsidies are public record (approx £1bn pa for Scotland)

So maybe this is where the farmers started being misinformed.
A bit like the 'Government' insulation grants, EU money but administered by our lot so they took the credit for it. All left out of the £350million a week bo££ocks. :cursing:

mudsticks

Über Member
A bit like the 'Government' insulation grants, EU money but administered by our lot so they took the credit for it. All left out of the £350million a week bo££ocks. :cursing:
An oft repeated theme, took credit where it wasn't due..

And anything that we didn't like??

Blamed on those 'meddling' Eurocrats.

People will lap up all that shizzle.

Classic, and easy blame shifting.
Esp to citizens of a somewhat xenophobic nation.

raleighnut

Guru
An oft repeated theme, took credit where it wasn't due..

And anything that we didn't like??

Blamed on those 'meddling' Eurocrats.

People will lap up all that shizzle.

Classic, and easy blame shifting.
Esp to citizens of a somewhat xenophobic nation.
Johnson took it even further with the 'Kippers', blamed the EU for a British rule that they be kept 'refridgerated', hardly made any news when the EU said "Nowt to do with us"

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Funds destined to fight child poverty go unused

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-49131685

What has the EU ever done for us?
Just beat me to it!
"More than £3.5m intended to alleviate child poverty and homelessness is at risk of being wasted because the government has failed to spend it, says a House of Lords committee.
Peers have written to the Home Office saying it is "extraordinary" that the EU funding has not been used."

Was this failure due to incompetence, or for ideological reasons?

Top Bottom