The Brexit Thread

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Quite apart from the farming issue (below), whilst we're on the subject of the noxious Francois, Francois is what you get when you fill Gove with air like a bicycle tyre.

Ah, the truth will out. How long has this been getting pointed out for, how many times has it been dismissed as Project Fear? This is what happens when reality collides with the lies.

Dayvo

Just passin' through
Do you think Francois is an angry little man because he detests his name?
Hopefully his mates (and enemies) wind him up by calling him 'Deutch' (Mark).

If Boris can get a new social care bill in place to save anyone from paying care costs ala Scotland then he will walk an election and have carte blanche re Brexit.

Just beat me to it!
"More than £3.5m intended to alleviate child poverty and homelessness is at risk of being wasted because the government has failed to spend it, says a House of Lords committee.
Peers have written to the Home Office saying it is "extraordinary" that the EU funding has not been used."

Was this failure due to incompetence, or for ideological reasons?
Both. incompetence for not filtering the money to a quango for them to sp*nk up the wall.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
He's a veritable one-man walking advert for inter-racial harmony: his middle name is Gino, as in 'come on'!
Wouldn't "Eileen" be better?

dutchguylivingintheuk

But why is it so cheap from there?? I hear you cry.

Go to those mega farms, in those countries, see their production methods, unregulated pesticide and herbicide use, look at their farmed landscape, see their degraded soils, near slave labour picking the fruit and veg, depleted and polluted watersources, abominal animal welfare, and so on..

Then you'll see why it's so cheap - all the costs are externalised, onto someone, or something else..

This is why EU Ag is regulated (somewhat) and their markets protected..

Bye bye all that.
it is'nt just about that, a lot of dutch farmers moved away to (amongst others Canada) just because of that very eu regulations you're talking about. So there's two sides two that story also 80% of current eu agricultural subsidies goes to large farming companies, not individual farmers. So on this point the eu is also broken, as it enables farming factories and helps mainly big companies that don't really need it instead of the smaller farmers. Back to the dutch farmers that stayed with only 27% of the land used for farming(and this figure is declining) they are the second largest fruit and veg exporter note this also includes re-export.

So it's not only about the regulations and or subsidies you could also argue that any company depended on subsidies is not properly run, sure you can have a bad summer and stuff like that but if a company only relies in subsidies maybe that is the key issue?

(sources: https://www.europeandatajournalism.eu/eng/News/Data-news/1.6-million-farmers-receive-almost-85-percent-of-the-EU-s-agricultural-subsidies and https://www.freshplaza.com/article/135083/Netherlands-worlds-biggest-(re-)exporter-for-11-fruit-and-veg-products/ )

mudsticks

Über Member
it is'nt just about that, a lot of dutch farmers moved away to (amongst others Canada) just because of that very eu regulations you're talking about. So there's two sides two that story also 80% of current eu agricultural subsidies goes to large farming companies, not individual farmers. So on this point the eu is also broken, as it enables farming factories and helps mainly big companies that don't really need it instead of the smaller farmers. Back to the dutch farmers that stayed with only 27% of the land used for farming(and this figure is declining) they are the second largest fruit and veg exporter note this also includes re-export.

So it's not only about the regulations and or subsidies you could also argue that any company depended on subsidies is not properly run, sure you can have a bad summer and stuff like that but if a company only relies in subsidies maybe that is the key issue?

(sources: https://www.europeandatajournalism.eu/eng/News/Data-news/1.6-million-farmers-receive-almost-85-percent-of-the-EU-s-agricultural-subsidies and https://www.freshplaza.com/article/135083/Netherlands-worlds-biggest-(re-)exporter-for-11-fruit-and-veg-products/ )
I agree, as a small scale farmer, I don't get any support.
The system is broken, and favours the larger scale factory farm, or large landowner.

The whole thing is due a redesign.

If we're out of Europe we can't be a part of that..

Last edited:

dutchguylivingintheuk

I agree, as a small scale farmer, I don't get any support.
The system is broken, and favours the larger scale factory farm, or large landowner.

The whole thing is due a redesign.

If we're out of Europe we can't be a part of that..
As long as even a very half baked attempt to change the way Junckers successor is chosen fails in favor of an career politician who leave a trail of failures lies and destruction behind her i have zero trust the EU is going to redesign itself, and if it does it won't be for the normal people just as it is'nt now.
Regarding agriculture i have far more trust in changes from within small farmers finding their costumers directly instead of large scale supermarkets. A good example is Crowdbutching(so the meat of an animal is sold online before the animal is slaughtered, also only free range) it started in the Netherlands and they are in the uk now aswell. Or a cheese farm that sells his cheeses online and in there online store or local milk or honey(which in the process can help to prevent/reduce hayfever)

Top Bottom