The Brexit Thread

Discussion in 'News and Current Affairs' started by Spinney, 13 Dec 2017.

1. icowden

icowden Senior Member

How so? In the first part of the article he talks about being turned away for being black, when it's pretty likely he was turned away because he didn't look like someone turning up to their job as an MEP. If you want to be taken seriously, dress like you want to be taken seriously. No matter how woke you are, first impressions count.

The rest of it seems to be about his revelation that the EU Parliament is a bit bureaucratic and inefficient and that most people don't know what it does, the result of which is that the quantity of right wing nutjobs are trying to introduce legislation that supports their agenda, which should hopefully get frustrated by those that are not right-wing nutjobs.

Last edited: 15 Jul 2019
    Andy in Germany and Tanis8472 like this.
  2. johnblack

johnblack Well-Known Member

Nut jobs of any persuasion have difficulty in getting legislation through as nearly all is introduced by the Commission?

3. srw

srw It's a bit more complicated than that...

If he's really still an MEP in five years time then a heck of a lot will have changed....

4. stowie

stowie Guru

Rod Liddle.

Wot a daffodil.

perplexed, Tanis8472 and Poacher like this.
  5. perplexed

perplexed Guru

This is quite concerning. Of course, it's difficult to know how the numbers would actually pan out, but Rees Mogg is certainly despicable enough to do it.

Farage has failed to become an MP seven times apparently. The question would be, which seat would they park him in - also, high risk for Farage in some respects. What if he failed again, even in a 'Brexity' area?

Last edited: 16 Jul 2019
    Andy in Germany likes this.
  6. roubaixtuesday

roubaixtuesday Über Member

Some kind of Farage/Johnson deal and a general election followed by a far right govt and hard Brexit is far from an unlikely outcome.

The Labour party are in a shocking state, and they are likely to split the reality based vote with the LibDems, leaving us with a unicorn based government.

Of course, the following collision with reality will be hideous, but Johnson will be betting that continued xenophobia and hate based politics will thrive in such an environment. He may well be right.

7. perplexed

perplexed Guru

Yes. I think now there are really only two outcomes as far as Brexit is concerned. We either Revoke Art 50, or we leave with No Deal, be it enacted by Number 10 or via a 2nd Ref.

Any form of Brexit which is not No Deal will not be pure enough now for some Leavers, who've now convinced themselves it is what they wanted all along. Even Farage is on record somewhere punting for Norway, which of course is now long forgotten by the BXP Ltd. The No Deal stance of 'it's what we wanted all along' is at complete odds with what every prominent figure for Leave was selling in 2016, and 'No Deal' was 'Project Fear' from Remainers. I'm not going to repeat the slogans of Leave - for that is all they were - which have now smashed head first into reality and fallen apart, we all know what they are.

So if some form of soft Brexit should be possible, the irony is that the Brexiters are the ones most likely (in Parliament at any rate) to kill it stone dead. But even if Norway (or whatever) were to occur, then it doesn't solve the problem. Even if Farage/JRM accepted it with resistance, what will they do? They'll go quiet for a bit, then steadily work to dismantle 'Norway'. Or maybe they won't have to be subtle about it...

Last edited: 16 Jul 2019
    Toshiba Boy and C R like this.
  8. perplexed

perplexed Guru

9. roubaixtuesday

I have to say that everybody from David Cameron to half this panel say, "Wouldn't it be terrible if we were like Norway and Switzerland?" Really? They're rich. They're happy. They're self governing.
    https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Nigel_Farage

Andy in Germany and perplexed like this.
  10. Dec66

Dec66 A gentlemanly pootler, these days

11. roubaixtuesday

Dec66 likes this.
  12. I think he's being optimistic. Personally I think JRM and BJ fully understand what they are doing: Causing a catastrophe so they can sell off anything in the UK of value. They're telling their footsoldiers that it's the EU's fault for not recognising how exceptionally special the UK is but that this Exceptional specialness will see us through.

This has the added advantage they can set their footsoldiers on anyone who points out the reality of the situation as 'traitors' and 'saboteurs'. They don't want allies, they want followers.

perplexed, Dec66 and C R like this.
  13. Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

I'm not sure whether that's good or bad news....

perplexed and Andy in Germany like this.
  14. perplexed

perplexed Guru

Is that my irony meter I hear exploding?

Milkfloat, Tanis8472, C R and 3 others like this.
  15. Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

The problem with pro-remain, is we’re being too honest and sensible. We need to lie more and lie big. Bigger than the Brexit lot, bigger than sTrump even. It appears the only way to win....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice