The Brexit Thread

mudsticks

Über Member
As long as even a very half baked attempt to change the way Junckers successor is chosen fails in favor of an career politician who leave a trail of failures lies and destruction behind her i have zero trust the EU is going to redesign itself, and if it does it won't be for the normal people just as it is'nt now.
Regarding agriculture i have far more trust in changes from within small farmers finding their costumers directly instead of large scale supermarkets. A good example is Crowdbutching(so the meat of an animal is sold online before the animal is slaughtered, also only free range) it started in the Netherlands and they are in the uk now aswell. Or a cheese farm that sells his cheeses online and in there online store or local milk or honey(which in the process can help to prevent/reduce hayfever)
Well yes, to a certain extent, and that's how I do my marketing (direct) and therefore make a living at it.

But the EU does seem to be in the process of recognising local resilience, and the multiple benefits of smaller scaled mixed farming
... I've been involved in a few eu projects that are promoting just that.

But if we Brexit I can see the UK going the way of the states.. It'll either be consolidated mega farms, or cheap imports providing questionable quality food stuffs for people who don't or can't afford to care how their food is produced..

With a new niche, higher end providers on the side, for those who do.

With better targetted support, good quality food and farming could become the standard, not the exception.

But if we Brexit I can see the UK going the way of the states.. It'll either be consolidated mega farms, or cheap imports providing questionable quality food stuffs for people who don't or can't afford to care how their food is produced..
This is us at the moment: I'm very much aware that we aren't getting the best food, but we're right on the wire financially as it is, until I get my new job (which looks hopeful). Hopefully after that we can get better quality food...

And the EU does seem to be gradually getting used to the idea of sustainability. Unfortunately it's a bit like trying to turn a liner and it will take time.

Just seen a brief clip on Euronews - apparently Johnson has 'told' Angela Merkel that the Irish Backstop 'must go'.

It's almost like the last three years haven't happened isn't it?

Of course, the real target of the sabre-rattling rhetoric is the British Public. It'll give them something to spout about in BBC vox-pops.

Francois is going to explode with excitement as it gives him something more to fuel the Second World War fantasy which constantly runs on a film reel in his head.
Not just his head.

perplexed

Guru
One of the reasons I believe we are in the perilous position that we are, is the fact that Prime Minister Farage et al have 'glibly' sold 'WTO-No Problem' as some sort of equivalent or valid alternative to what we have now. I genuinely think that there are millions of people who think we leave with 'No Deal' (already identified as a complete mis-nomer upthread) on the 31st October, then just 'flip over' like a light switch to WTO at midnight as we enter 1st November. I think we can safely say it isn't that simple.

I think it's a bit like riding around on a top of the range Bianchi, which you voluntarily throw away to put your name down on a six year long waiting list for a 20 year old mountain bike which has resided at the bottom of a canal for four years.

dutchguylivingintheuk

One of the reasons I believe we are in the perilous position that we are, is the fact that Prime Minister Farage et al have 'glibly' sold 'WTO-No Problem' as some sort of equivalent or valid alternative to what we have now. I genuinely think that there are millions of people who think we leave with 'No Deal' (already identified as a complete mis-nomer upthread) on the 31st October, then just 'flip over' like a light switch to WTO at midnight as we enter 1st November. I think we can safely say it isn't that simple.

I think it's a bit like riding around on a top of the range Bianchi, which you voluntarily throw away to put your name down on a six year long waiting list for a 20 year old mountain bike which has resided at the bottom of a canal for four years.

I don't know how old the information in that phamflet it but it is at least partly outdated.
There is already a GPA until the end of this year. (source: https://www.euractiv.com/section/uk-europe/news/uk-agrees-wto-procurement-membership-post-brexit/ )
Sure wto terms are not the egg of Columbus that the other side is claiming it to be. A deal would still be by far the best possible way to get out, but a phamflet with some facts and some opinions mixed to it does't really help either.
The reality is that it is possible and likely that there will be somekind of short-cut going into a independend wto membership. Just like they did with when Czechslovakia split in two. It will be more complicated now as the wto is much larger then when this split happened but the principle is the same. The article(below which is my source) also explains the uk stays an WTO member there is no ''re-applying'' it more negotiating changing conditions due to no longer using the Eu provided schemes.(note this article was written before the temporarly GPA was agreed in the link above)
https://briefingsforbrexit.com/can-the-uk-rejoin-world-trade-organization-a-response-from-wto/

SpokeyDokey

Nearly 63 - oh dear!
I don't know how old the information in that phamflet it but it is at least partly outdated.
There is already a GPA until the end of this year. (source: https://www.euractiv.com/section/uk-europe/news/uk-agrees-wto-procurement-membership-post-brexit/ )
Sure wto terms are not the egg of Columbus that the other side is claiming it to be. A deal would still be by far the best possible way to get out, but a phamflet with some facts and some opinions mixed to it does't really help either.
The reality is that it is possible and likely that there will be somekind of short-cut going into a independend wto membership. Just like they did with when Czechslovakia split in two. It will be more complicated now as the wto is much larger then when this split happened but the principle is the same. The article(below which is my source) also explains the uk stays an WTO member there is no ''re-applying'' it more negotiating changing conditions due to no longer using the Eu provided schemes.(note this article was written before the temporarly GPA was agreed in the link above)
https://briefingsforbrexit.com/can-the-uk-rejoin-world-trade-organization-a-response-from-wto/
That gives some balance to the issue - thanks.

perplexed

Guru
It really is an odd paradox at the moment.

We now have reams of Brexiters telling us that 'No Deal' was what they voted for all along (despite the overwhelming evidence to the contrary).

At the same time, Brexiters are already ramping up the blame game for 'No Deal'. The main targets appearing to be, and I suppose obviously, the EU, 'Remoaners (aka traitors/saboteurs/enemiesofthepeople) and Leo Varadkar.

But they wanted 'No Deal' all along didn't they? So what's the problem? Why do they need to blame anyone if they're getting what they wanted?*

*This is obviously a rhetorical question...

Top Bottom