The Brexit Thread

Kippers do.
@benb: Now look what you've started...

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Whilst re-reading The Lost Gardens of Heligan prior to our second visit I noted with some amusement that Tim Smit the author said how they are cultivating numerous types of vegetable that are no longer cultivated in the UK 'due to the pressure of mass consumption and EU rules'.
Do you think he's got a shred of evidence for that? I could have missed the EU Directive To Ban British Vegetable Varieties among the list of 72 EU rules not supported by the UK but I think it's more likely that he's repeating claptrap told to him by a kipper.

Hover Fly

Lover of the bunny
I've got one. Golden Wonder potatoes.

Whilst re-reading The Lost Gardens of Heligan prior to our second visit I noted with some amusement that Tim Smit the author said how they are cultivating numerous types of vegetable that are no longer cultivated in the UK 'due to the pressure of mass consumption and EU rules'. Golden Wonder spuds iirc being one of them. The Victorians had greater variety, so once the UK is free from the vice-like grip of the EU more variety could be re-introduced.

I suppose you could say that once we are free from Brussels, we can have more brussels ....
Several thousand tons of Golden Wonder potatoes are grown each year. They mainly go to commercial users for such things as crisps.
The list of allowed British varieties is shorter than the E.U list.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
They were struggling to reorganise to be competitive before brexit came along with 560 odd shops when their main competitor is completely on line.
Would that be a certain 7.3-named competitor which was criticised last week for continuing its high-pressure selling technique of fake "last few rooms remaining" labels and the UK regulators seem to have completely failed to regulate?

Would the imminent loss of oversight of EU regulators with teeth in Thomas Cook's HQ market have any small part to play in loss of investor and lender confidence, do you think, just possibly, maybe?

I saw Grant Shapps on TV news this morning pushing the "blame the internet" message as hard as he possibly could, ignoring the triple-whammy of Brexit on Thomas Cook: lower demand, later bookings and imminent laxer regulation by a UK with a track record of failng to make its internet competitors obey the law. He really does seem like someone who would try to tell you it's raining when his mates are peeing on your back...

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Fish puns are always brill.
If you need any more just let minnow.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
@snorri I see you've quoted @Unkraut without comment. Did you mean to report him for the "joke" in the last sentence and you've hit the wrong button?

Edit: And now you've deleted your post, which leaves me in a quandary, do I delete or not?

Edit, Edit: And now you've replied, so my deleting would involve you deleting and it'd all get terribly messy, so I'll leave it :okay:

Last edited:
Top Bottom