The Brexit Thread

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
No disrespect to either of you,and you both make good points.Im sure we're in agreement on Brexit and it's a disaster waiting to happen.But getting back to the Tories and where we are and were before, we see things different,I see a country fecked for many allready.Brexit doesn't mean much to a lot,a think a lot of the leave voters were enticed by false promises.
The deaths of 726 homeless people in England and Wales recorded in 2018 represent an increase of over a fifth on the previous year. That’s the largest rise since these figures began in 2013
We should be ashamed of where we're at,that's without quoting any of the other shite this goverment has inflicted on us..
You get the picture.
Quite Frankly I've been ashamed of the UK's record of looking after it's disadvantaged waaaay before the recent Tory Govt, though admittedly they've been the worst to date.
But if there's no money in the coffers, the poor and disadvantaged won't be any better off.

As a part timer in the YS dept I've noticed similar but I think a lot of shops are managing their stocking levels more tightly, there certainly seems to be less in the shops to be reduced in the first place as opposed to the 'stack em high' policy of a couple of years ago.
Not just stock levels (the fall in the value of the pound since 2016 means that the consequence of increased prices affects the entire supply chain) but also managing stock rotation better as well, I think...

But it also depends on the shop, the manager and the demographics as well. My experience is that if you go to the supermarkets early doors, the YS cabinets are more often than not rammed with stuff, and you do see people taking multiples of things when they see the yellow stickers.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I suspect it's an attempt to keep more moderate Brexiters on his side. I wouldn't trust him either but he is of the opinion that Brexit supporters have memories like a goldfish and will forget about it all be tomorow afternoon as long as he says something outrageous about the EU in the meantime.
Of course there is a school of thought that says that Johnson doesn't want to crash out, certainly not before a GE because the fall out could well mean he would lose, but that Corbyn does want no deal but before a GE, because he thinks that's his best chance of getting elected.

Adam4868

Veteran
Quite Frankly I've been ashamed of the UK's record of looking after it's disadvantaged waaaay before the recent Tory Govt, though admittedly they've been the worst to date.
But if there's no money in the coffers, the poor and disadvantaged won't be any better off.
There's plenty of money ! Look at the amount they've allready wasted on Brexit shite.

dutchguylivingintheuk

Of course there is a school of thought that says that Johnson doesn't want to crash out, certainly not before a GE because the fall out could well mean he would lose, but that Corbyn does want no deal but before a GE, because he thinks that's his best chance of getting elected.
He would be able to claim that he has delivered what he has promised, to take the Uk out of the EU. So it would benefit him, unless you believe mr Juncker who promises hell and so on on every decision that he does'nt like. The Netherlands is still waiting on that continental crisis he promised when the dutch voted no the Ukraine treaty or the Lisbon Treaty. (which the dutch goverment ignored but still he did'nt put the condition that the dutch goverment ignored the result in his threat) But guess what? No such crisis has happened. Nobody really knows what is means either so it might have happened while nobody noticed, maybe the shaking Merkel thing is a continental crisis. But that's just speculating..

Adam4868

Veteran
Why no chip on your shoulder about Labour and Iraq? How many died as a result of that debacle?
Tell me where you asked about Blair and why do you think I was a supporter of that ?
Didn't think so you'll get no support of Blair from me

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
He would be able to claim that he has delivered what he has promised, to take the Uk out of the EU. So it would benefit him, unless you believe mr Juncker who promises hell and so on on every decision that he does'nt like. The Netherlands is still waiting on that continental crisis he promised when the dutch voted no the Ukraine treaty or the Lisbon Treaty. [...]
Juncker wasn't commission president during the Lisbon treaty process.

roubaixtuesday

Über Member
I'm not so sure... When you look at the chain of causality, it is all linked. You can't put your finger on any single issue and say "this is what caused it."
Sure you can.

Borrowing of the last labour government was in line with historical norms until the financial crisis hit. So much so that George Osborne no less pledged to meet the same commitments if elected.

So there's no way overspending can be blamed for the running out of money.

But like I said, it made a great narrative and was used to justify cutting services to the very poorest in society.

Still off topic. More apologies.

Reactions: C R

Adam4868

Veteran
I'm not so sure... When you look at the chain of causality, it is all linked. You can't put your finger on any single issue and say "this is what caused it."
The banking crisis caused the crash and the Tories with help from the Lib Dems created Austerity,easy as that ! They have been as ruthless as they like

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Tell me where you asked about Blair and why do you think I was a supporter of that ?
Didn't think so you'll get no support of Blair from me
Most of the current labour front bench supported him.

Don't you see that if you hold Clegg, Laws, Alexander and other people who aren't even MPs any more against the Lib Dems, it's reasonable for people to hold Blair, Lord Prescott and all the little Lords against Labour still?

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom