The Brian Robinson Challenge, Kirklees - entries open - Sun 29th April 2012

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
"This is a challenging 75 mile cycle circuit which offers riders the opportunity to take in some of the countries most iconic climbs, Holme Moss, for example, has featured in cycling events at the highest level for over half a century.

This event has now been running since 2007 (previously run as the Kirklees Sportive,) and attracts riders from across the country to take part.. As always we have retained the key elements of an enjoyable cycling experience and where possible taken into account riders comments from previous years."

Information's at: https://www.sientries.co.uk/event.php?elid=Y&event_id=661

Cost: £25

It's down the road from me so I've added it to my list of events. Any of the other Kirklees/West Yorks area people having a go?

Svendo

Guru
Need to book day off but I'll likely be doing it as I missed it last year, did the SITD instead. Easter is on a more normal day this year so they don't clash. I notice it's starting from the other side of Huddersfield at the Galpharm Stadium like last year, butr unlike 2009-2010. So I guess the route will be north or north-eastish from there to meet the usual anti-clockwise loop and go over the A640 past Nont Sara's to Denshaw. Makes it more interesting as it puts Wessenden Head and Holme Moss much further into the ride, which is harder. But finishes with the rolling section east of Huddersfield, which is easier.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It's a good route, apart from the section along Woodhead Pass which can be a bit scary when drivers overtake too fast and/or too close. You might like to read my report on the 2009 event - here.

I have to watch my spending so I'm sticking to audax events this year.

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Just got an email with information for the event next Sunday.

Has anyone got their 'starter pack' or do I collect it at the start?

Also, is there a gpx someone can pm me? I've a Bryton rather than Garmin but can use it. The route's at http://connect.garmin.com/activity/80904284 and looks 'challenging'

Looks like it should be good. I just hope the weather stays decent, not :rain:

I am doing this for the first time, I presume you collect your starter pack on arrival. Good luck the weather looks horrendous with gusts upto 43 mph.

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

I am doing this for the first time, I presume you collect your starter pack on arrival. Good luck the weather looks horrendous with gusts upto 43 mph.

I agree the weather looks bad - but then, forecasts are sometimes wrong :rain:

The route's interesting though - I'd have thought Holme Moss would've been early, but it's 40 miles in, just after another big climb. Back through Woodhead pass is OK and then a steepish climb I've done a couple of times. Then it's mostly down before a flat-ish stretch into Huddersfield.

I'll have a green and white striped helmet and red jacket on a white/black Specialized, given the rain forecast.

Svendo

Guru
It's had various starts, and tends to ride out from the start to the fairly unchanged circular route round Huddersfield and go from there.
First time i rode it (when still the kirklees sportive) it started at the YMCA just off M62 Junction 23, so went from there to the A640, over to Denshaw, then back across the tops to Marsden, Meltham then Wessenden Head, Holmfirth and Holme Moss, followed by the relatively undulating section east of Huddersfield, with a drag back up to Junction 23 at the end.Which was painful I recall, Got proper solid cramp in the calf when dismounting! Still rode home though.
This start gave a reasonable warm up if you're really fit, but meant you were well on the way by the time you got to the two big climbs if you weren't.
For the next few years it started from Huddersfield Rugby Union Club, so took the B6108 to Meltham and straight on up Wessenden Head, so the two big climbs were first. Made the long middle gradient climb up the A640 tought as it was near the end and usually has a headwind.
I've missed it since the starts been from Galpharm, but I think that's as good as any place. Although there's a way to go to the big climbs, once there done it's mostly pretty undulating lanes to the finish.
This is also a 'feel good' sportive as a large part of the entry goes to charity, unlike some other charitably branded sportives (e.g. Manchester 100 etc.)

I agree the weather looks bad - but then, forecasts are sometimes wrong :rain:

The route's interesting though - I'd have thought Holme Moss would've been early, but it's 40 miles in, just after another big climb. Back through Woodhead pass is OK and then a steepish climb I've done a couple of times. Then it's mostly down before a flat-ish stretch into Huddersfield.

I'll have a green and white striped helmet and red jacket on a white/black Specialized, given the rain forecast.

I will look out for you, I will be riding a red and white Cube Agree Pro and will be wearing a white hat with a red jacket. Have fun!

Bald Monkey

Hi all! New to CC, just been searching for info re this ride as it's my first sportive! I was really looking forward to it but now the weather forecast is threatening to put a dampner (understatement) on proceedings. Fingers crossed that it goes ahead okay!

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Hi all! New to CC, just been searching for info re this ride as it's my first sportive! I was really looking forward to it but now the weather forecast is threatening to put a dampner (understatement) on proceedings. Fingers crossed that it goes ahead okay!

Good to see someone else is taking part. I'll be there - it's a fairly tough one as a first sportive :eek:

Give me a shout (or others) if you see us. I'll be in a dark blue Honda Jazz (SWMBO's) with bike as above. I wish my waterproof socks had arrived today, instead I've had to come up with an ingenious solution :crazy: . That, and the pannier rack with waterproofs on ready for the downpour, should mark me out as an oddity.

Bald Monkey

Done a few training rides around the 60mile mark and I'm a regular commuter, hopefully got enough in the legs! I have done Holme Moss once and Wessenden Head once, never together though. Was out that way last Sunday and got soaked to the bone between Greenfield and Holmfirth, although I didnt enjoy it much I suppose it was ideal prep looking at the forecast.
Fingers crossed for a good day for all taking part!

Top Bottom