The CC Trig Point bagger thread, now incorporating other interesting geographs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Mr Aided, does the USGS have similar markers on your side of the pond?
upload_2017-4-26_8-2-2.jpeg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSi0x7pzkLfoHoTQfLUrk1YcRoNCeJVV9Y8Wf5VUe41Gzbsx1wb.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSxBGyhqMOWZTl8peYV541Xkqk-F2PFAoxTv8sOnT0z-Ckiy8-F.jpg

Last edited:

Tim Hall

There's a crowsfoot benchmark on the side of the house where I was born and where my Dad still lives. When he had the house painted, he got the level painted on, taken from the spot height shown on the OS map.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
national-geodetic-survey-reference-mark_edited-1.jpg

national-geodetic-survey-reference-mark-and-plinth_edited-1.jpg

The reference mark, and the woods where it was found

The field,(note witness post) and benchmark, just as it began raining.
national-geodetic-survey-benchmark-field-and-witness-post_edited-1.jpg
national-geodetic-survey-bench-mark-north-of-constitution-trail_edited-1.jpg

I found two Geodetic Survey markers I was seeking this afternoon. One was a reference mark,(1970) and the other a benchmark(1954)
Thanks to the completeness of records, I was able, both through maps and satellite overlay imagery, as well as exhaustive history of these marks placement and maintenance, to find these pretty easily. Started to rain just as I found the benchmark, just off the end of the bike trail. I could have found the benchmark for the reference mark, but it was in very dense undergrowth, and would have required a parang for a visit. About a 40 or 50 foot path would have had to have been cleared.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I've come down with a cold and the shivers. Spent all day in bed yesterday doing nothing except try and get warm and fitfully watch the TV.

Feeling slightly better today (I still feel crap, but don't feel cold any more) but it'll be a day or two before I bag the Horton and Yardley Hasting trigs, and some benchmarks along the way.

Top Bottom