The CC Trig Point bagger thread, now incorporating other interesting geographs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim Hall

There's a crowsfoot benchmark on the side of the house where I was born and where my Dad still lives. When he had the house painted, he got the level painted on, taken from the spot height shown on the OS map.
Now then, here's a thing. I popped by Dad's house yesterday, and the level marking has been painted over. But more excitingly (FSVO excitingly) the bench mark doesn't appear on the benchmark data base. I shall have to join bench-marks.org.uk and register it. Meanwhile today I went hunting and found a flush bracket at Three Bridges station. Like this:
2017-04-30 15.05.49.jpg

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Well done Bobby. Its an oddly addictive pastime, eh?
It gives me an excuse for something else to chase when out..
I'll organise runs to bag more but I'll have a wee rest....

Six visited today
Flush Bracket
FS2828 Johnstone, Railway Hotel.
20170501_102956.jpg

Cut Marks.
BM6247 Howwood, Parish Church
BM6291 Lochwinnoch, Calder Bridge, Lochlip Rd
BM6289 Lochwinnoch Auld Simon Church
BM5307 Lochwinnoch, Church St.

Not Found,
BØ9776 Lochwinnoch, River Calder Bridge.
They've rebuilt the bridge

This impressive old building is Auld Simon Church, CM middle image, not much depth to it
20170501_111921.jpg
20170501_112047.jpg
20170501_112119.jpg

Tim Hall

Got a load in town (Crawley), somewhat of a target rich environment. But first I took Dad out to lunch and delved into the "why the level isn't shown on the BM on the house" question. Apparently the stencil work wasn't good enough, so Helena the decorator is going to re-do it. The level doesn't show up on the current OS map, but fortunately Dad is a member of the local history society and has access to loads of old maps. Here it is, unmarked:
2017-05-01 14.34.47.jpg

A "bolt" on the side of St John's Church, Crawley, with obligatory bike:
2017-05-01 17.50.26.jpg

Finally here's one on the side of a, to my eye, relatively new house, definitely part of the New Town, which messes with my head, as I thought cut marks/Bench Marks were an Old Thing.
2017-05-01 17.39.12.jpg

Tim Hall

Where possible, it is desirable that trig points and benchmarks are sought on a steel framed bicycle.

The newest benchmarks date to the first half of the Sixties, so that last one should be at least 52 years old?
That'll work as New Town construction was a post war thing. All my bicycles are steel framed I think, so I should meet the search criteria too.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Where possible, it is desirable that trig points and benchmarks are sought on a steel framed bicycle.

The newest benchmarks date to the first half of the Sixties, so that last one should be at least 52 years old?
Elitist hipsters

I don't want to get another bike..
I'll just be Private second class..

On a ham radio theme,
I am a member(1008) of the Second Class Operators (SOC) HERE so I'm used to it...

Tim Hall

Found it on the OS data base:
TQ 2859 4328 CUT MARK HALLINGTON YATTENDON RD E ANG SE FACE 56.600 3 'N' 1971 - 0.600

Tim Hall

I'm having trouble deciphering the description data on the OS website. For example:
BR SE SIDE ST JOHNS RD SW BANK STR
So that's a bridge on St John's Road on the South East side. But what's the SW Bank? A south west bank would seem sensible, but I can't match that with the bridge, which runs east west. Similarly we have:
NO68 EMLYN RD N FACE NE ANG
So on the North face of number 68 Emlyn road. But what is NE ANG?

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
I'm having trouble deciphering the description data on the OS website. For example:

So that's a bridge on St John's Road on the South East side. But what's the SW Bank? A south west bank would seem sensible, but I can't match that with the bridge, which runs east west. Similarly we have:

So on the North face of number 68 Emlyn road. But what is NE ANG?
I assume NE is north face, east side..
I just assume angle is wall corner??

Said I wouldn't but couldn't resist..

Checked two en-route which were 'lost' , still lost.

Cut Mark
BM6637 Bishopton, Erskine Hall
BM6637 Bishopton, Erskine Hall.jpg

BM6633 Inchinnan, Black Cart Bridge
BM6633 Inchinnan, Black Cart Bridge.jpg

Bolt BT1045 Inchinnan, White Cart Bridge
BT1045 Inchinnan, White Cart Bridge.jpg

Finally, a 'find', I can't see it anywhere (at least on BM site.).
Old Bridge over Black Cart Water, Linwood.

Linwood (Johnstone) Cut Mark, Bridge, Black Cart Water.jpg

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
I've just downloaded the OS BenchMark Archive.
I thought everything was on the BenchMark site but obviously not.
This is going to be fun, once the file stops freezing.
The one above I found was on the spreadsheet..

Top Bottom