The cost of decorating a flat.

winjim

✊🏻✊🏾 🌈 ♀️ 😷
Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but the John Lewis social media team have been having a great time.

I must be awfully common because I view John Lewis as rather good if pricey.
Unfortunately we won't be buying any more from them as they are closing our local branch and their online service is a disaster. Still do the occasional posh shop at Waitrose though.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Me too. I have a John Lewis sofa. Apart from my actual house, it is the most expensive thing I own
Don’t genuine posh people inherit their furniture rather than buy it?
Barkers at Northallerton might be doable for you.

They have some decent quality things, similar to John Lewis, and the staff have always been pleasant during my visits.

A better experience in terms of both quality and service than the likes of DFS.

The cafe's good, too.

It's on a corner of the first floor, so also has nice views of the surrounding area.

https://www.barkershome.co.uk/

Julia9054

Guru
Barkers at Northallerton might be doable for you.

They have some decent quality things, similar to John Lewis, and the staff have always been pleasant during my visits.

A better experience in terms of both quality and service than the likes of DFS.

The cafe's good, too.

It's on a corner of the first floor, so also has nice views of the surrounding area.

https://www.barkershome.co.uk/
I used to work in Northallerton and I remember Barkers. Especially the cafe.
These days, I am at the stage in life where I have all the furniture I need. I certainly don’t have any need to spend £30,000 EACH YEAR updating my home!

Saluki

I've run away with my friends to..
My first flat was less than 30 grand.
As was my first house. Then I had to spend four hundred quid on doing it up. It was the 80s.

I decorated and carpeted my current flat and had change from £300. It looks nice. £30k is a massive amount to decorate a flat, especially when you don’t know how long you shall be living in it. I get that he is the PM and should have nice surroundings, but even so.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
As was my first house. Then I had to spend four hundred quid on doing it up. It was the 80s.

I decorated and carpeted my current flat and had change from £300. It looks nice. £30k is a massive amount to decorate a flat, especially when you don’t know how long you shall be living in it. I get that he is the PM and should have nice surroundings, but even so.
It is a massive amount, and as far as I can gather is for internals only, and it's annual.

Realistically there's no need to spend anything like that sum each year, so even if you did need the occasional mega refurb, you ought to have plenty in the kitty.

It's not only politicians who cannot be relied upon to behave ethically when it comes to living in publicly owned buildings.

Wider members of the Royal Family have also spunked vast sums on making themselves comfortable.

Any appeal to their consciences will never work, so the only way to stop such morally bankrupt behaviour is to simply refuse to give them the money.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

Any appeal to their consciences will never work, so the only way to stop such morally bankrupt behaviour is to simply refuse to give them the money.
I'm not so sure... £30K wasn't enough for Boris to refurbish the Downing Street flat, and the murky funding of his overspend is apparently big news at the moment

dutchguylivingintheuk

Yeah, he spend way to o much on ugly gold wallpaper, he could have spend better on a campervan to get the hell away from her, but jokes aside the real point is that he apparently financed it in a way that you're not supposed to do when you are an pm.
But is it to much for an stupid flat? Yes it is, on the other hand Rishi spend a lot of money too but no one has a problem with that because it was his money. No some vaguely financed mess.

SkipdiverJohn

Veteran
I frankly couldn't care less how much Boris spends on refurbishing his flat, or if he was given a donation by a supporter. £30k is a stupidly large amount anyway, but if he wants to splash the cash, and someone else is willing to pay, who cares?
Personally I would have just done a couple of rooms a year, and nobody would have batted an eyelid about it, or even remarked on it.
This story is 99% politically motivated mischief-making anyway, deliberately timed as a spoiler for the local elections. It's a bit of a damp squib, and is not going to rouse the masses to lay siege to Downing Street in protest. Most people are just counting down until the pubs are open properly and they can go on holiday. Johnson's expensive decorative tastes just aren't a burning issue for most people outside the London media bubble.

shep

Veteran
As Sarah Vine said: you can't expect a PM to live in a skip, Skippy

........but don't forget the string of dodgy contracts that were won by Lord Brownlow. That is your hard earned taxes going straight into his pockets. You may be happy about being robbed by said Lord but I'm not.
Do we honestly think our Tax would be any less under a different Party?

I have always thought the Tories like to keep taxes low?

Top Bottom