The cost of decorating a flat.

Thanks for that,

I'm still not really bothered about what goes on though as I would rather just get on with life and not worry about stuff so far removed from my life.

My train of thought goes something like this.....

Hear about some dodgy government dealings, think to myself , 'dodgy gits at it again ' oh well, whats for tea, pub tonight, football the weekend, going for a ride etc etc.

Think nothing more of it and get on with life.
That's a balanced view, and one I pretty much share. Some people are so bigoted and bought in to their own flavour of politics, it's impossible for them to do that.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Honestly is the word.

My point is not how much tax we pay, it's whether it is going to make an already rich man even richer.

What is emerging from the cases brought by the Good Law Project is that we should be very worried about how friends of this Government are skimming off our taxes through dodgy contracts.

I hate the idea that the money I've earned legitimately finds its way into the pocket of a tory donor who is literally stealing from the state. It may not worry you - but as I say, it worries me hugely.
I'm a big fan of the Good Law Project

Rocky

sacré bleu
Do they actually achieve much though?

For example get the money perceived as wrongly distributed put back to where it's needed, NHS for instance, or reimburse the Tax payer?
Ha ha - you should direct that question to Matt Hancock

Craig the cyclist

into the pocket of a tory donor who is literally stealing from the state.
except the person stealing your money in this case is a multimillionaire.
go to dodgy businessmen instead.
Interesting language here. If someone is "literally stealing" that is a major accusation, it implies something different to "dodgy businessmen" (and women I assume?)

I don't think anyone is "literally stealing" money, I think that it is quite obvious deals were done, er, quickly and with less scrutiny than usual, and some of those should be investigated of course.

I don't know if anyone was "literally stealing" though. Many may have over-promised, and under-delivered, some over-reached themselves, and indeed I know of a company who lied about a key element of their PPE provision, but still delivered the PPE. Did they "literally steal" because they lied about a key element, or did they just stretch the truth to get the very lucrative contract? Once again, to be clear, they delivered on the deal, the background was not as they suggested though.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Interesting language here. If someone is "literally stealing" that is a major accusation, it implies something different to "dodgy businessmen" (and women I assume?)

I don't think anyone is "literally stealing" money, I think that it is quite obvious deals were done, er, quickly and with less scrutiny than usual, and some of those should be investigated of course.

I don't know if anyone was "literally stealing" though. Many may have over-promised, and under-delivered, some over-reached themselves, and indeed I know of a company who lied about a key element of their PPE provision, but still delivered the PPE. Did they "literally steal" because they lied about a key element, or did they just stretch the truth to get the very lucrative contract? Once again, to be clear, they delivered on the deal, the background was not as they suggested though.
What about all those with PPE contracts who delivered nothing at all ?

shep

Veteran
They protect the law of the land , they don't exist to give you handouts.
I don't need hand outs or complain about what the government spend my taxes on, I was enquiring on behalf of those that do.:okay:

In my youth I remember a garden shed full to the doors with bottles of decent wine, cognac and whisky before Christmas.
My father was not supposed to accept any of it but he did along with more substantial thanks for services hoping to be rendered.
Did any of these obvious sweeteners ever influence him? I don't know, it's not something I would have asked.
The idea that someone in high office accepts finance from donors does not sit easy for me. The person offering the large donation might employ me and be looking to lessen employee protection or be exempt from grief should the pension fund turn out to have been gutted.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Did any of these obvious sweeteners ever influence him? I don't know, it's not something I would have asked.
Working in the UK public sector we were subject to very tight rules about gifts and hospitality. Seasonal gifts such as chocolates or calendars were regarded as OK, wine at a pinch. Spirits would have been too much and required to be either returned or raffled for charity. A sandwich lunch at a suppliers premises was ok; dinner at a 5 star hotel was not. Everything had to be declared. If stuff for the office was bought in Sainsbury's the officer purchasing was not allowed to use their personal loyalty card.

Working in the UK public sector we were subject to very tight rules about gifts and hospitality. Seasonal gifts such as chocolates or calendars were regarded as OK, wine at a pinch. Spirits would have been too much and required to be either returned or raffled for charity. A sandwich lunch at a suppliers premises was ok; dinner at a 5 star hotel was not. Everything had to be declared. If stuff for the office was bought in Sainsbury's the officer purchasing was not allowed to use their personal loyalty card.
Exactly. We know what Boris did or did not do was not some high crime and that the opposition are making hay as would happen the other way round.
The issue is with taint and diminished trust.
I always thought it odd that so many defence secretaries landed seats on the boards of companies that would eventually become part of BAE systems.
Other secretaries walking into jobs with utility companies.
I'm sure those people must have been very talented and the companies involved wanted to secure them just for their expertise.

newfhouse

Regressive elitist lefty
I'm sure those people must have been very talented and the companies involved wanted to secure them just for their expertise.
Chris “Failing” Grayling being paid £100,000 pa for a day a week advising Hutchison Port Holdings, the owners of Thamesport, Felixstowe and Harwich, demonstrates your point very well.

Top Bottom