The cost of decorating a flat.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Working in the UK public sector we were subject to very tight rules about gifts and hospitality. Seasonal gifts such as chocolates or calendars were regarded as OK, wine at a pinch. Spirits would have been too much and required to be either returned or raffled for charity. A sandwich lunch at a suppliers premises was ok; dinner at a 5 star hotel was not. Everything had to be declared. If stuff for the office was bought in Sainsbury's the officer purchasing was not allowed to use their personal loyalty card.
It's even tighter for me. Anything provided, bar refreshments, i.e. tea/coffee/water and biscuits during a meeting, has to be declared. Although in my current role, the chances of gifts are remote, but they are to be refused. If found not to have been declared, it's a disciplinary matter.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
It's even tighter for me. Anything provided, bar refreshments, i.e. tea/coffee/water and biscuits during a meeting, has to be declared. Although in my current role, the chances of gifts are remote, but they are to be refused. If found not to have been declared, it's a disciplinary matter.
A good few years ago now we were told that we weren't allowed to accept any diaries or calendars from suppliers. Never got as bad as declaring meeting snacks, though.

Drago

Flouncing Nobber
Chris “Failing” Grayling being paid £100,000 pa for a day a week advising Hutchison Port Holdings, the owners of Thamesport, Felixstowe and Harwich, demonstrates your point very well.
Jesus H. Trump, any sensible firm would pay that fool £100k a year to keep his mouth shut!

Even by the standards of cabinet ministers he is particularly inept and incompetent, and one must serious the question the business acument of any organisation that not only takes his advice, but then actually pays him for it.

newfhouse

Regressive elitist lefty
Jesus H. Trump, any sensible firm would pay that fool £100k a year to keep his mouth shut!

Even by the standards of cabinet ministers he is particularly inept and incompetent, and one must serious the question the business acument of any organisation that not only takes his advice, but then actually pays him for it.
I doubt he actually books on for his contracted hours or actually offers advice. It’s not what you know, it’s who you know...

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)

Hint: They aren't paying him for his business acumen.

A good few years ago now we were told that we weren't allowed to accept any diaries or calendars from suppliers. Never got as bad as declaring meeting snacks, though.
I recall the security guards at some of the companies I worked for as a contractor used to get given a good supply of blotters, pens, diaries. Just a token of good will of course and nought to do with being amenable to phoning up the purchase manager who the arriving without invite salesman wants to have a meeting with.

Top Bottom