The "cowboy" start technique.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
The cowboy start: If the phrase is alien, the technique (or lack of it) will be familiar: From standing still to the left of your bike, left foot goes on left pedal and pushes down to get some forward movement going, then the right leg swings over the saddle and onto the right pedal to continue pedalling away.

As I start both ends of my commute in a quiet car park, it's just something I do, and always have done.

I see that Sheldon Brown condemns the practice as it apparently puts undue transverse stress on the wheels and frame.
Does it really do that much damage, or is he speaking of older bikes? Is it considered such a bad technique and do I need to give up my cowboy ways?

Anyone else here a cowboy? :wacko:

gbb

Legendary Member
Always used to, but for unknown reasons i just stopped doing it, can't even remember when now i think about it.
Perhaps it's because i've had an irrational fear about the pedal snapping off and sending me flying...that does occur to me occasionally. Too much thinking...

theclaud

Openly Marxist
[QUOTE 1254115"]
I used to be, until I fell off doing it. If you haven't seen the clip I'll post it later.
[/quote]

Please do!

Davidc

Guru
I used to do it, don't know when I stopped but perhaps my body's just not flexible enough any more. The bikes probably are though.

Without calculating or measuring anything my first reaction is that the stresses on wheels and frame in normal riding would be a lot greater than from that.

Norm

I dismount cowboy-style but I set off more normally.

Have done it for years without any problems.

Sheldon doesn't get everything right.
Isn't it the only way to get started on an 'ordinary'? :biggrin:

I used to do it as a kid, can't remember when I gave up though. I believe your old-fashioned Bobby on his sit-up-n-beg was trained to do it - maybe it was a quicker way of getting moving in hot pursuit of Burglar Bill?...

I was amused - and a wee bit alarmed - to observe a lady cyclist doing a cowboy mount - the gent's way even though she had a ladies' bike - the other day outside Tescos. Alarmed - because she was pulling a trailer complete with baby on board! :eek:. But perhaps she had it worked out, this was the safest way not to plant a foot in Junior's face! Anyway baby was unfazed. Likewise adoring Hubby, who was riding solo and who started off in the conventional way...

+ 1 for cowboy fashion but oddly I seem to have become one sided - left foot on pedal and right leg over seat where at one time I was equally able on either side.

...cue "too old to get his leg over" gags

+ 1 for cowboy fashion but oddly I seem to have become one sided - left foot on pedal and right leg over seat where at one time I was equally able on either side.

...cue "too old to get his leg over" gags

Mossy .. i had you down as a run alongside and leap on rodeo style kinda bloke ;)

i can do both sides but i favour right foot on the pedal and swing my left leg over

Simon

Top Bottom