The cycle to work calculator

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Just found this from the Guardian article:

http://www.cycletoworkcalculator.com/

I've saved over £700 in 2 years from using my bike compared to bussing it. :tongue: Havent spent out that much on repairs tbh. Did spend nearly £2k on a new bike though, but that doesn't count for a guy like me (its like spending on a nice sports car or custom guitar)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
In 2 years I have apparently saved £1571

subaqua

What’s the point
£937 in less than 12 months . :ohmy: going to put the wifes journey in to see how much we can save when she starts cycle commuting next year.

gregsid

£937 in less than 12 months . :ohmy: going to put the wifes journey in to see how much we can save when she starts cycle commuting next year.
Do she know about this plan yet?
wink.gif

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
my yearly saving is near £3,000. Commuting without bike is expensive for me.

i've saved nearly 3,500 so far, lots of accessories :tongue:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I save £1004 a year .

Pity my new steed is not included in the calculator (ssshhh ! )

I f i calculate with the new bike i am still saving £504 and it pays for itself in 160 days.

The interesting part is the calorie calculator, i know it is only a estimate but 700 calories a day sounds about right.

Jezston

Über Member
It's hard to gague how much I save as my cycle only saves me £2 a day on the way to the train station, then my route after that I would have previously taken on the works free minibus - which I would occasionally miss and have to pay £10 for a taxi.

I'm probably about evens, but having more fun.

Don't like this, its too simple that it could be easily calculated without need for a "fancy" website.

Also assumes a 5 day working week (or you ride all days).

Leaves you to calculate fuel/wear costs (for car trips).

Cost of the bike itself a bit unfair, depending on how you look at it. How much you spend a month on bike gear might help :tongue: new cleats, a fresh jacket, some more patches etc...

400bhp

Guru
Yes, you're right-it's garbage (in = garbage out).

I have my own spreadsheet which I have been running from the start of the year. I think I'm about £150 up vs a seasonal rail ticket. This allows for car/tram costs for the days I don't cycle in.

Pure bike vs car/tram (i.e pitting the days I cycle in v car/tram costs). I think I'm about £300 up on the car/£150 up on a tram.

I've allowed for cycle consumables, clothes, new parts and the commute percentage of total bike use. I haven't factored in the pure cost of the bike which I could do but it won't be much over, say, a prudent 10 year lifespan. I may buy another bike on the cycle to work plan at the end of the year however, from previous experience, selling it on is not going to leave me materially out of pocket.

If anyone wants a copy so they can use for themselves let me know.:smile:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Calculator doesn't work for me - I cycle instead of walking (to and from the station), so the best I can say is that it saves me about 35 minutes walking per day - and gives me about 15 minutes aerobic exercise into the bargain.
You need to update your browser or you have JavaScript turned off.

Top Bottom