The CycleChat Helmet Debate Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We do all need to remember that accidents - and impacts - come in many flavours. Nevertheless, I shall comment on this specific issue:

Actually, I think we're all quite good at this. Imagine we're standing on a safe surface (trampoline, wodevva ..) I challenge you to hold your hands by hour sides as I gently topple you over sideways.
When you land on your hip/shoulder/etc, I'd wager that most times your average neck muscles will keep your head from impact. On the occasions it *does* hit something, it will be a lot more gently than your shoulder hits.

No superhuman powers required!

I have had many falls on my bikes when I avoided my head hitting the floor.

I have had two falls when I didn't, travelling at a greater speed.

Once my head hit metal railings at the side of the road. No damage to me, except scratches on the helmet.

Once I fell, hit my head on the road taking a chunk out of my helmet and waking up as the paramedic put me into the ambulance on the way to hospital where I was diagnosed with concussion and bleeding on the brain. No damage to the surface of my head, just the helmet.

I doubt in either of the last two I would have somehow avoided hitting my bare head.

Rusty,
Is that not covered by my first sentence?
"We do all need to remember that accidents - and impacts - come in many flavours."

I have had many falls on my bikes when I avoided my head hitting the floor.

I have had two falls when I didn't, travelling at a greater speed.

Once my head hit metal railings at the side of the road. No damage to me, except scratches on the helmet.

Once I fell, hit my head on the road taking a chunk out of my helmet and waking up as the paramedic put me into the ambulance on the way to hospital where I was diagnosed with concussion and bleeding on the brain. No damage to the surface of my head, just the helmet.

I doubt in either of the last two I would have somehow avoided hitting my bare head.
Are you sure you're cut out for this cycling lark?;)

I've often wondered that. :rolleyes: Two torn ligaments and one concussion since I started cycling again 11 years ago after a break of almost 40 years! I've virtually given up off road mtb riding these days and I think that at 74 I'll stick to the road, although not literally I hope.
74! I stopped mountain biking at about 44, I think the final straw was crashing into a chalk bank at 20mph which resulted in just about my entire lower body going black/purple (yep, that bit as well, although disappointingly it didn't get any bigger) and being barely able to walk for several days.

Top Bottom