The dangers of commuting by bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

owenthesmith

Hi everyone I’m hoping that you will be able to help me out. I’m doing a bit of research into accidents involving cyclist and other road (and pavement) users. I’d like it if you could share your experiences. I’m only really interested in incidents when it’s dusk or dark.

I’d like to know what happened, where you were riding (city, country, etc) and what you were wearing (high viz, dark clothes, or whatever) and if you were using any lights (what type, front, back, extra lights, etc). I’m also interested in hearing any stories of anybody behind the wheel in cycling accidents.

Here’s a couple of examples that have happened to me:<BR style="mso-special-character: line-break"><BR style="mso-special-character: line-break">

Last December at about 7am (still dark) I was driving through the city centre it was foggy and damp. I was turning right and pulled out after a van had just passed me and hit a cyclist. I barely touched him but he went flying. He did not have any lights on his bike and he was wearing black. He should've had lights but as a cyclist i did feel really bad.

I was riding down a hill coming towards a roundabout; the car in front had just over taken me pretty close and then pulled in not giving me enough room to pass. He slammed on the brakes to avoid the person in front and I crashed into the back of him. I had flashing LEDs front and back but no high viz clothing.

Stories from either side would be great. Many thanks Owen

Klaus

This should really be posted into section

Research and Questionnaires or Commuting (where you will find plenty of reports).

Also I would be a bit more specific why you are doing this research, what prupose, etc.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Also I would be a bit more specific why you are doing this research, what prupose, etc.

+1

I haven't had any accidents at night time - cycling isn't inherently dangerous. (This is cycling in a city).

If you don't include those who haven't had an accident surely your research will be biased.

gavintc

Guru
Personally, I find riding at night generally safer then riding by daylight. I think with decent lights, you are actually more visible and cars are not sure if you are a motor cycle or a bike. I find I get less people pulling out on me and far fewer close shaves.

jimboalee

+1

I haven't had any accidents at night time - cycling isn't inherently dangerous. (This is cycling in a city).

If you don't include those who haven't had an accident surely your research will be biased.

This is very true.

Compare the population who have an incident to the entire population, to get an accident/1000 figure.

Top Bottom