The danish laugh at us

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tharg2007

Veteran
Was watching some morning tv the other day and there was some danish band on and asked them what they miss while over here, they replied "riding our bikes" to which the presenter said "you can ride your bikes around london" they just laughed, says it all really.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Well, I manage to ride round London fine thanks Danish people.....

They should go back to eating bacon and drinking Carlsberg, bloody Swedish province that they are!

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
For what it's worth, looking at Cyclingnews' letters regarding the attack by a motorist on the Sydney group ride, we have it way better than the Australian cyclist seems to.

I found I had to re-adjust to British roads after cycling in France last year (e.g. allow for the fact that motorists would now happily risk knocking me off to reach the next red lights). I guess if you'd cycled on the continent all your life, cycling in Britain might seem a bit of a daunting prospect.

spindrift

For what it's worth, looking at Cyclingnews' letters regarding the attack by a motorist on the Sydney group ride, we have it way better than the Australian cyclist seems to.

really? I know some windbag politician made some silly remarks after that event.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Tharg2007 said:
Was watching some morning tv the other day and there was some danish band on and asked them what they miss while over here, they replied "riding our bikes" to which the presenter said "you can ride your bikes around london" they just laughed, says it all really.

Copenhagen is very cycle friendly. Motorists are far more tolerant, cyclist accident rates in Denmark are lower than the UK, facilities predominate (and evolve), and generally cycling as a means of transport is accorded respect.

spindrift

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Spinners, can you provide a synopsis?

I know you have a lto fo time on your hands (hence the sticky keyboard), but not all of us have the time to trawl the interweb like you......

U

User169

Back to the OP, the Dutch would appear to have substantially the same view as the Danes. The last time I was in London, I overheard a group of Dutch students discussing how they'd never be prepared to cycle there; on the other hand, they did seem quite impressed by the hardiness of London cycle commuters.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Given that London has one of the lowest rates of cycle use (per head of population) in the UK and the UK is not high on the list of cycle friendly countries in Europe, it is hardly surprising...

bonj2

BentMikey said:
London is certainly intimidating if you're used to cycling in the Netherlands, but it's probably not a great deal more dangerous.

probably due to the fact that most cyclists int he netherlands are actually asleep.

Top Bottom