the doors on bbc four

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

The group? I've been a fan since the mid 60's

D

Deleted member 1258

I first heard them on Radio Caroline in the mid sixties, Riders On The Storm, I had to stop and listen.

brockers

Fantastic program. Explained what influenced all the well known songs really well and fascinating to hear the eight-track recording split into its component tracks. My internet zonked out just as Ray Manzarek was about to explain the 'raindrops' keyboard run off 'Riders' - giving me the excuse to watch it again.

I share the same surname as Mr Mojo Risin, and often used to try to wind people up by telling them that Jim was my uncle. Sad, I know!

OP
OP
uphillstruggler
Mate of mines wife calls that the track with the scratchy start.

They really did do great stuff.

It's timeless, which is the greatest compliment you can give music, bit like the stone roses, stone roses album. Sounds current but takes you back. Brilliant.

dandare

Very overrated, try Howling Wolfs own version of little Red Rooster to see how it should be done.At the time a lot of the groups including the Stones were just cribbing songs and styles from the old blues singers.

Noodley

I thought it might have been a thread title sung to the tune of The Wheels on the Bus...The Doors on BBC4 go out and in, out and in...

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I think the Doors were not only a great band, but also an interesting band. The sound was, well, odd. A bit nightclubish at a time when guitars were the 'authentic' sound of pop. You have to take the sound on board, just as you do the strings that backed Love.

Favourite Doors track..

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UEVyIyibD8

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
as an aside. The Kid, who is 20 years old has been a Doors fan for years. That can't be bad.

I prefer to remember Jim Morrison when he was slim and at the top of his game.....towards the end he was bloated and debauched losing all that prettiness. Shame....great voice though, full of power.

I seem to remember that the Doors tried carry on after his death but without Morrison they were only 50% of a band.

Morrison was a great frontman and an interesting character to be sure. But to say he was 50 percent is unfair. Like led Zeppelin they were more than the sum of their parts. All very talented and to my mind Manzerek was the true genius in the band. He created the haunted funfair sound that set them apart from all the soundalikes that were around at the time. He played the bass lines at the same time as playing the synth lines, no mean feat considering neither could be described as simplistic. Legend.

Top Bottom