'The End Of CycleChat As We Know It' forum ride (Hebden Bridge, 20th Nov)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Shaun, our beloved Admin (aka The Guy In Charge) has unilaterally decided to wean us off our web browsers next Sunday in order to promote CycleChat III - Beware of a Geek Bearing Gifts!

So - we might as well get out on our bikes instead of messing about on t'Interweb all day! I thought I'd take the opportunity to organise one final forum ride for 2011 before the cold and lack of daylight really kick in.

Bearing in mind the early sunset now, I've come up with a shorter route than usual. It is still pretty hilly, but slightly less demanding than some of my rides. We should have no problem getting back before it gets dark (though it might be wise to carry emergency lights just in case).

Route description:

Hebden Bridge, Pecket Well, Old Town, Midgley, Jerusalem Lane, Booth, Jowler (*tough* climb!), Wainstalls, Cold Edge (we will use a stretch of rough road over Oxenhope Moor but it is rideable on road bikes - just watch where you are going!), Oxenhope, Penistone Hill (west side), Stanbury, Oakworth, Scar Top, Herders, Laneshaw Bridge, Trawden, Clarion House, Coldwell Activity Centre (cafe stop at 28 miles), Thursden (*tough* climb), Widdop, Slack, Lee Wood, Hebden Bridge.

Route map:

Bikely, GPX file (you may need to reduce the number of trackpoints for your GPS, though it works perfectly on my Etrex).

Route profile:

cold-edge-trawden-profile.gif

The second part of the route will be familiar to all of you who have ridden through Trawden with me before, and returned via Widdop. The first part will be unfamiliar to many of you.

We'll have a cafe stop at Coldwell Activity centre after 28 miles.

Nobody will be left behind, but you should be confident that you can tackle a very hilly ride of this distance. It will be slow, slow, slow. Don't come along and complain about it being slow. IT WILL BE SLOW! (We won't be riding quickly ... ;))

We'll be aiming to set off at 10:00 so let's meet at Market Place car park, Hebden Bridge, at 09:45 on Sunday, 20th November. Map showing car parks.

The centre of Hebden Bridge is now pedestrianised and there is a one-way system. To get to the car park turn right up Commercial Street as you come into HB from the Halifax direction, second left after about 100 yards by the White Lion. Follow that road round over the river. The car park is then on your right.

If you are coming from the Todmorden direction, turn left down Old Gate (one way street) at the end of Market Street, just after the Inn on the Bridge on your left. Follow the road round past the Hole in t'Wall. The car park is straight ahead on the right.

If anybody decides to turn up announced (it has happened before) make sure that you get to Market Place car park by 09:45 because we won't be hanging about once all those officially riding have gathered!

I reckon we will get back at about 15:00. (Told you it would be slow!) but I suggest you bring lights in case of problems, or if we decide to add a few miles on after the cafe stop (there are two good options if the weather is nice and we decide to make the most of it).

Riders:
  • ColinJ
  • Steve H
  • I like Skol
  • colly
Possible riders:
  • oldfatfool
  • potsy (working)
  • YellowTim
I'm taking names now. Hurry - numbers are strictly unlimited! ;)

So long as it is reasonably fine when I need to set off then count me in :smile:

Steve H

Large Member
I'll need to double check with the better half when she gets in later, but I don't think we have anything on next weekend. Here's hoping for a bit less pea-soup like fog to what we had last week!

potsy

Rambler
Would have liked to make this but I will (probably) be working Sunday night so won't be able to :sad:
If I end up working from Monday night instead I will come over.

Could do with the extra miles to help reach my target too.

colly

Re member eR
Possible, possible. :thumbsup:

I'll see how the week goes and if I have to work next Sunday. I'll know by Wednesday.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Yep - checked with Mrs H. All fine for next weekend. Come on Potsy and Colly - last forum opportunity of 2011
Excellent! Last 2011 official forum ride with me, at any rate! (I'll still be up for the occasional ride if anybody is free at short notice but I won't organise anything else in advance.)

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Okay, I've finalised the route. I added 3 miles on before the cafe stop to give nicer views (if we aren't cycling through the clouds again!) and to avoid one steep climb. (There are quite a few steep climbs already, so why add extra ones that can be avoided! ;))

The total distance now is 38 miles.

Is anybody else up for it?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I've just asked SWMBO for permission. No answer yet but fingers crossed.

EDIT: If I'm welcome that is?

Hi Col, is the route up on Bikely or anywhere to download for the GPS. Just to try and avoid wrong turns this time :whistle:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I've just asked SWMBO for permission. No answer yet but fingers crossed.

EDIT: If I'm welcome that is?
Yes, fingers crossed, and in answer to your question - yes of course!

Hi Col, is the route up on Bikely or anywhere to download for the GPS. Just to try and avoid wrong turns this time :whistle:
Now then ...! My GPS seems to be behaving itself these days, though it did 'hiccup' for a couple of minutes the other day when starting up in heavy mist. I speculated that the water vapour might be reducing the strength of the satellite signals being received?

Anyway - this is very familiar territory for me; I've been riding variations on this route since 1989. The day I get lost on this one is the day I make an emergency appointment to see a doctor, because something serious would have to be going wrong with my brain!

I've now edited the first post to include full details of the route including a map, a profile and a link to my GPX file.

colly

Re member eR
That looks like a jolly run out Colin. I'll do me best to make it. :thumbsup:

I am well behind with stuff at the moment so will have to see. I really, REALLY don't want to work again this Sunday.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Thinking of maybe giving it a go, but slightly worried about keeping up having seen some previous Colin J routes :ohmy:

Any idea what the total elevation gain/loss will be?

If I came I think I'd have to wimp-out and switch from fixed to SS :blush:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

That looks like a jolly run out Colin. I'll do me best to make it. :thumbsup:

I am well behind with stuff at the moment so will have to see. I really, REALLY don't want to work again this Sunday.
That would be good!

Thinking of maybe giving it a go, but slightly worried about keeping up having seen some previous Colin J routes :ohmy:

Any idea what the total elevation gain/loss will be?
The pace will be slow! Nobody has ever said that we go too fast, though I always worry that some people have to hang about too long for me. Nobody has complained to me about that either, but if they did I would simply ask if they can read! (See first post.)

I reckon we will only average about 8-10 mph including stops.

You can see the elevation gains for yourself if you look at the profile in the first post. At a quick glance, I'd say about 1,400 metres (4,600 ft). Since we end up back where we started from, that is obviously the total loss too! ;)

SS would certainly help on the long fast descents, but would be hard on the steeper climbs.

Full brekky in the cafe? ;)

I forgot to mention that there is an Italian cafe opposite the meeting place car park, so you could actually go there or to one of the cafes in the pedestrianised town square for a coffee or even breakfast if you wanted to. I prefer to have my breakfast a couple of hours before riding, because we will be climbing within 2 minutes of setting off!

Top Bottom