1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The end of The Beatles

Discussion in 'News and Current Affairs' started by Maggot, 9 Feb 2018.

1. Maggot

Maggot Star of BBC 5Lives Ballot Box Brigade

The last two are in 'cuffs. Now obviously we have a chance to question them, interrogate the evidence against them, put them through a court case and try to get to the bottom of their motivations, and give them a fair hearing in a court of law.

After their fair and unbiased trial, should we hang them or shoot them?

2. winjim

winjim A youth of interminable age

No.

CrinklyLion, srw, Markymark and 2 others like this.
  3. Spiderweb

Spiderweb Über Member

If I were Paul McCartney or Ringo Starr I would be somewhat perturbed that the Beatles name is being used to describe these delusional murderers.

Back on topic....They need to end their miserable lives in captivity in solitary confinement so they have no influence on others. Martyrdom is what they would choose, take that choice away, let them rot.

Last edited: 9 Feb 2018
    MontyVeda, raleighnut and C R like this.
  4. Cycleops

Cycleops Veteran

Both

Dave7, Dirk and Maggot like this.
  5. Cycleops

Cycleops Veteran

On second thoughts @Spiderweb might be right, Guantanamo would be better and is probably where they’ll end up.

6. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Legendary Member

That's exactly what they want.

Blue Hills likes this.
  7. Blue Hills

Blue Hills Guru

Sorry cyclops, definitely definitely not guantanamo.

I salute to tobias ellwood:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43014215

Not someone from my side of the political fence but head and shoulders above ****ing blair. I well remember that gutless bush licking *** describing guatanamo as an "anomaly". No blair, it stank, stinks and ellwood, who lost his brother to terrorism clearly highlights how it was not only wrong wrong wrong but also profoundly stupid and counter productive.

Meanwhile I'd be happy to see blair at the Hague on a properly conducted war crimes trial.

C R and CrinklyLion like this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Maggot

No, actually what they want is to kill as many innocent people,, in as many horrific and barbaric ways as they can.

9. srw

srw It's a bit more complicated than that...

Thank you for your insights into the mind of a terrorist.

My suspicion is not that they want to kill (which is the mind of a pyschopath), but that they want to see people killed and chaos reign (which is the mind of a murderous fanatic). It's better, I think, not to stoop to the level of such people, but to show that we treat them in the same way as other murderers. That dilutes the power of their fanaticism.

10. OP
    OP
    Maggot

Wanting to kill is not what psychopaths want to do. Where on earth did you get that from?

Diluting the power of their fanaticism, what nonsense. Do you really believe that people being radicalised right now are going to be thinking, "hmmm best not get involved, i may get 10 years in Belmarsh"

Cycleops likes this.
  11. Mister Paul

They've been caught, so they can't do that. So now they want to be seen as hero fighters, wronged by torture and mistreatment at Guantanamo.

They're not soldiers or fighters, they weren't any good at that. They were distorted, murdering bullies who attacked helpless victims.

12. Inertia

Inertia I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!

Surely its not about what they think.

It's about dismantling their appeal, they are treated as just another murderer, nothing special.

Although actually, that may bother them

13. OP
    OP
    Maggot

Why is there an obsession with ''just treat them like everyone else, that'll learn them"

Why not just ignore them and simply let them go? Surely that's the ultimate message of contempt, they are not even worth bothering about .

14. Mister Paul

Reductio ad absurdum doesn't bring anything to a discussion.

brodiej, Adrian, Bromptonaut and 5 others like this.
  15. CrinklyLion

CrinklyLion Veteran

There isn't an
    What there is is a respect for the rule of law and judicial process and a belief that it should be applied fairly and fully to all because that is the ethically correct thing to do. We should all be treated equally and the same under the law, that's kind of the point of it. There is also an important point that, pragmatically speaking, _not_ applying the law correctly and fairly (i.e. punishing the perpetrators other than for the crimes they have committed and are found guilty of) would fuel the narrative that they are in some way martyrs with a valid cause rather than people who have committed utterly contemptible and abhorrent crimes.
    Not an argument I believe in, or one that I've seen anyone making - if _you_ think it a good one perhaps you could give some justification for it?

But, for me, whether or not I believe them as people to be deserving of contempt doesn't affect whether or not I think that the law and the criminal justice system should treat them with it. As defendants they don't deserve contempt, they deserve justice.

Last edited: 10 Feb 2018