The Exploding Lidl Track Pump !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

buddha

Veteran
I now regret buying a Lidl track pump (a few months ago).

Pressure approaching 100psi, starts to hiss at the base. Then the top half explodes off from the base like a rocket :becool: It turns out that the lower half of the pump (metal tube) is GLUED to the metal base. And the glue gave way.

I had to go out, so bodged it with some 'No-Nails' and a screw drilled through the base - but am getting a proper track pump now.

Specialized do nice track pumps. I've had one for 3 years and going strong. I believe you can get replacement parts too.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I think it was lidl i got a track pump for about £4 :becool: I bought it to leave at work, as an emergency back up. I've not had to use it yet, but a colleague borrowed it & was impressed.

dodgy

I've got one of the Lidl cheapos as a backup but haven't used it, thanks for the tip off about the potential explosive nature of them!

I have a decent Topeak Joe Blow Pro, fantastic piece of kit and I recently rebuilt it with the official rebuild kit for the princely sum af about 2 quid. Always buy modular/serviceable kit if you can.
Dave.

Janeyb

Exactly the same thing happened to ours and we only bought it this year. Has had plenty of use but would have thought it would last a bit longer!

jashburnham

I have a Park tool pump - very well made and no problems in 3 years. IME cheap tool break fast.

jashburnham said:
I have a Park tool pump - very well made and no problems in 3 years. IME cheap tool break fast.

Yeah - I should have added, before the Spesh one I had 2 others both cheap, both of which broke quickly: the second I took back and got a refund. Quality tools are worth it in the long run. I think the Spesh cost me about £35.

bonj2

YOu know the solution, don't you? Don't ever, ever, EVER, go to lidl. Certainly for cycling gear at least.

Tynan

Veteran
sometimes cheap is acceptable, sometime not

something cheap that you want to use at 100psi plus that costs £20 for quality is a bad choice i suggest

OP
OP
buddha

buddha

Veteran
Well, I've now got a Topeak Joe Blow.
As for the Lidl pump. I reckon that if it wasn't for that one (albeit crucial) flaw, it would be a reasonable product. Although the numpty that decided it would be a good idea to glue two metal parts together, that undergo compression, tension etc, should apply for a job at KFC;)
Some of the other stuff I have bought from Lidl is good value. Such as the tool kit.

Top Bottom