The Glorious 12th, but not if you're a grouse

Discussion in 'News and Current Affairs' started by PeteXXX, 12 Aug 2019.

1. PeteXXX

PeteXXX Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ... Photo Winner

BBC article
    Valid environmental concerns, or just Toff bashing?

2. Beebo

Beebo Firm and Fruity

I'm no fan of blood sports, but it does look a bit like toff bashing. Is there a major environmental impact compared to say factory farming?

Fox hunting is similar, im sure there are better ways of controlling foxes, but banning fox hunting did seem to be motivated in part by toff bashing.

When will Labour crack down on anglers? Or is that a working class passtime.

Chris S, Dirk and Cycleops like this.
  3. Diogenes

Diogenes Opinions, schminions

There is an argument that grouse hunting is doing huge environmental damage to the Highlands, it's essentially a biodiversity desert with anything that threatens the grouse population being exterminated, even illegally in the case of protected raptors being poisoned with impunity. Those heather-clad hills aren't natural, they should be forested and teeming with life. I'm all for the reintroduction of native species and the entire Highlands becoming a protected national park, encouraged to return to a natural condition.

Grouse shooting and deer hunting are said to contribute about £50m a year to the economy. I'd happily see the Government pay £50m to end it.

Pretty sure this isn't a Tory thing btw as Land Management is a devolved issue that the Scottish Parliament could deal with if they wanted.

As for the Toffs - they'll find other ways to make money I'm sure.

pubrunner, AndyRM, Mr Celine and 11 others like this.
  4. classic33

classic33 Legendary Member

Toff bashing. Nearest place to me has been kept for shooting for over a 100 years. It is "natural" habitation.

Cycleops likes this.
  5. Cycleops

Cycleops Guru

It'd not the toffs who'll suffer if its ended it's the locals who are employed in the industry. I thought labour or any government were about creating jobs.
    At least you can eat the birds unlike 'The unspeakable in pursuit of the uneatable'.
    If they want to stop cruelty to animals perhaps they should also consider looking at KFC chickens which are raised in stinking cr@p filled sheds crammed in by their thousands.
    Might upset too many of their voters.

Arjimlad, tribanjules and classic33 like this.
  6. Hitchington

Hitchington Lovely stuff

I think the main reason people (like Chris Packham and the RSPB) campaign against grouse shooting are ecological concerns. Besides any grouse shooting jobs are seasonal and don't pay much for a few days work, such as beating.

snorri, Andy in Germany and C R like this.
  7. Cycleops

Cycleops Guru

Quite rightly a nifty bit of editing there.

8. Hitchington

Hitchington Lovely stuff

Hunting with dogs (fox and stag) was banned because it's a blood sport. It was the Countryside Alliance who made it into a class thing.

Andy in Germany likes this.
  9. Hitchington

Hitchington Lovely stuff

Please, enlighten me?

10. Diogenes

The locals will find other work. Tourism will rise when the Highlands have more to offer.

Imagine if Yellowstone were converted to grouse shooting, with the bears, wolves, eagles and even raccoons wiped out. Then limit access to certain times and certain areas with fences and barbed wire. Cut down the forests and plant weeds. How many tourists will that attract - more or less than before?

pubrunner, Mugshot, Mr Celine and 4 others like this.
  11. Poacher

Poacher Gravitationally challenged member

However, illegal killing of raptors such as Hen Harriers is a year-round occupation.

12. Beebo

Beebo Firm and Fruity

But the plastic sheeted fruit fields of Kent and the vast wheat prairies of the fens are also totally unnatural too, the British countryside as we know it is a man made industrial landscape. I don’t see Labour calling to ban those industries.

Cycleops and classic33 like this.
  13. Profpointy

Profpointy Guru

I've no particular objection to shooting grouse (or bunnies for that matter) for the table, as they are delicious and not at all rare. I might however question how this is really "sport" when you could probably catch them by chucking sticks at them or just running fast but hey ho.

Echoing the point above is the disgraceful way many of the shooting estates, whilst hypocritically claiming to look after the. land seem to be allowed to illegally poison endangered birds of prey with impunity

Last edited: 12 Aug 2019
    C R and classic33 like this.
  14. Diogenes

That's all true, the Highlands are an industrial landscape, but it's over 10,000 square miles that only brings in £50m pa and employs maybe 4000 mainly part time workers. Doesn't sound like a good return to me.

Andy in Germany, Edwardoka and C R like this.
  15. slowmotion

slowmotion Quite dreadful

They are actually quite hard to shoot, I have been told. They fly low at up to 70mph and they jink. Instead of a stick, try a boomerang.:okay:

Cycleops likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice