The Great Nottinghamshire Bike Ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jezston

Über Member
Any locals riding this?

http://www.greatnottsbikeride.com/Introduction.aspx

There are four routes for you to choose from that take in some of the most stunning scenery that Nottinghamshire has to offer. There is something for everyone, no matter your age, ability or level of fitness.

• 72 Mile Challenge
  • 58 Mile Challenge
  • 19 Mile Community Ride
  • Family Lap Challenge
There are a variety of rest stops and feed stations along every route where you will be able to enjoy the entertainment on offer while you refuel.

Thinking of doing the 72-miler as apparently it's quite flat and I reckon I could handle it, however the 58 kind of appeals more as a less endurance and more fun ride.

Indeed I am - signed up for the 58'er, although getting there and back gets me to a round 76m total.

They have changed the route quite significantly this year so I am not sure what the latter half entails. Still, it is always a fun day anyway.

OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
About to go to bed at I have to be up at 5:30am to get there and register before 7am, but if any of you are going and fancy saying hello send me a PM and I'll give you my number, otherwise look out for the guy on the green roadbike and green Rapha top!

funnymummy

A Dizzy M.A.B.I.L
I'll be leaving sunny Sussex at about 6am moro for a surprise Fathers Day visit to me dad, should be driving through parts of Notts about 9.30am...
If I see any gaggles of cyclists i'll give them a friendly wave - If you spot a dark grey Cmax with a Three Feet sticker on the back window - That's me
:biggrin:

OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
Ride was good, although last section took us on a really hairy bit of major road which I think was a seriously bad bit of planning. Also there was one incident where some peanut started beeping at and threatening all the riders by agressively and deliberately close passing with sustained horn blasts as he passed. That made me raaage.

I was riding with a group of mostly fixed riders on my 3-speed which at a cursory glance looks fixed. The amount of people who were utterly dumbfounded by the concept of riding with no gears was staggering, some seemed appauled by the very notion! Also some people REALLY don't like being overtaken, especially by people with noticeably less expensive bikes than them! The amount of people who we'd casually stroll past who'd seconds later would aggressively pump past us then slow down in front was kind of hilarious. Is not a race - stop taking it so seriously! Also I have decided I DO NOT like the Beeston Riding Club. They take stuff way too seriously for reasons of the above and shouting obscure club code at us when around them not having a clue what exactly they are trying to communicate.

But enough negativity! Had a great day, got a medal, feel knackered and realising that I'm not bad at all at this riding a bicycle malarkey.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I was riding with a group of mostly fixed riders on my 3-speed which at a cursory glance looks fixed. The amount of people who were utterly dumbfounded by the concept of riding with no gears was staggering, some seemed appauled by the very notion!
If people were riding with no gears then they must have been on dandy horses! The riders you were with might not have had multiple gears, but they certainly had one each ... ;)

Anyway, pedantry aside - I'm glad you had a nice day out!

OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
TMC - Red

ColinJ - yes, sorry I meant Dandy Horses - they're what all the hipsters are riding these days.

Glad you enjoyed it Jezston, the route was much more rolling countryside than previously, which is nice.

That nasty bit of A road you mention, that'll be the A612 from Burton Joyce past Netherfield I guess. No excuse for drivers like that but unfortunately that section of the ride is not new - the people doing the lesser distances are directed onto the very wide cycle path on the other side of the road.

Hope you are starting to feel 'limber' again today as I am still feeling a bit bike shaped!

3tyretrackterry

i had a good time too if you saw a trike with a fairing on with yellow smileys on that was me i was riding with two other trikes and we saw two others as well and somebody said there was a velomobile on the ride as well though we didnt see that

i had a good time too if you saw a trike with a fairing on with yellow smileys on that was me i was riding with two other trikes and we saw two others as well and somebody said there was a velomobile on the ride as well though we didnt see that

It'll be you in picture 18 then!

I did see you all on your comfortable looking fangled contraptions
biggrin.gif

OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
Aha! I saw the chap dressed as a Frenchman - he said "bonjour!" to me and everything ;)

There were quite a few photographers taking quite a lot of photographs - is that set of 35 the only set online? Was kind of hoping there'd be a site where they all get put up and you can order prints or whatnot.

Top Bottom