The house does NOT always win.. Thankfully

dutchguylivingintheuk

from the bbc news and many other news outlets but i use the bbc as source today:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-56663830

Good to read this man finally got what he deserved and that in this case Betfred could not get away with claims of a software glitch and 3000 pages of vague terms.
The court swept this away, and ordered them to pay the 1.7 million plus interest.

ebikeerwidnes

Über Member
Yup - exactly what I would expect from a gambling company

a software glitch meant that someone won

not a moral bone in whole company - at least not the senior management - in my opinion!!!

Lookrider

These gambling shops know you will always come back for more ...even after a win
A good friend of mine and similar hopeless gambler ( like me ) ....

Lost all his pocket cash at bookies ...
Started writing cheques ( back in day) ....
He then obviously eventually got a winner and went to collect ...only to be told that they only except 3 cheques a day so they did not pay him
Nor did they tell him 3 cheques max when he was loosing ....he complained to sporting life newspaper as they were the place to go to back then to settle disagreements
They told him that's the bookmakers rules and it was upto him to read them and not expect the cashier to tell him....
dreadful really how gamblers get treated

Regarding this great result
They guy was offered some 60k by the bookmakers to stay quiet??

Is that not blackmail..which again is illegal ....maybe use some if his winnings to take them to court again

I wish him all the best

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
The facts seem to be these:

It was not disputed that there was a software issue.
It didn't mean he won, it did mean that he won very significantly more than he would otherwise have done without the issue, by multiplying the winnings.
The Bookmakers declined to pay him the hugely inflated amount.
The Judge ruled in the bettor's favour because the contractual arrangements were not sufficiently robust to be enforceable by the bookmaker in these circumstances.

Had the rules been better drawn, the Judgement would have gone in the Bookmakers favour.

Not great publicity, for sure, but a very great deal of money was at stake.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
He could just as easily have gambled away his life savings- these gaming and gambling sites should be closed down.
And pubs too, presumably, being even-handed, and given that the propensity to become addicted to alcohol is higher than that of gambling, as is its ability to kill?

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
These gambling shops know you will always come back for more ...even after a win
A good friend of mine and similar hopeless gambler ( like me ) ....

Lost all his pocket cash at bookies ...
Started writing cheques ( back in day) ....
He then obviously eventually got a winner and went to collect ...only to be told that they only except 3 cheques a day so they did not pay him
Nor did they tell him 3 cheques max when he was loosing ....he complained to sporting life newspaper as they were the place to go to back then to settle disagreements
They told him that's the bookmakers rules and it was upto him to read them and not expect the cashier to tell him....
dreadful really how gamblers get treated

Regarding this great result
They guy was offered some 60k by the bookmakers to stay quiet??

Is that not blackmail..which again is illegal ....maybe use some if his winnings to take them to court again

I wish him all the best
Of course it isn't blackmail. It's an offer of settlement, happens all the time, and is completely legal. Indeed, it's legally regulated, such as in employment cases.

Last edited:

ebikeerwidnes

Über Member
All you need to know about bookmakers is the naming of the slot machine in their 'shops'

they are called 'fixed odds" or something similar
sounds OK - sounds sensible and controlled

In reality they appear to be carefully designed to get gambling addicts - or potential addicts - to put as much money in as possible with the lowest possible chance of winning
OK - a very well defined and real chance of winning a huge amount -
but basically the vast majority of people who use them loose -
and they are designed to get people to loose A LOT.

but the name kinda sounds OK

IMO a cynical way of attracting the vulnerable and making the highest possible profit from them

of course - I may be wrong - feel free to enlighten me .............

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Do you know what the odds are on one of those machines?

From the way you are talking perhaps not.

Would it surprise you that on average 98-99p of every £1 wagered is returned to the bettor?

Yes the betting company wins in the long term, but it's nothing like you believe, and the size of the much-reduced stake means that your perception is a historical one.

Top Bottom