The Independent Group

Discussion in 'News and Current Affairs' started by Diogenes, 20 Feb 2019.

1. Diogenes

Diogenes Opinions, schminions

As most will have noticed, 8 Labour MPs and 3 Tories have left their parties and formed what they're calling The Independent Group. All of them are taking flak for their decision from every side, but initial polling shows there is public support for a centrist party.

I'm a big supporter of Independent MPs. I think they can be more democratic and representative than the candidates put forward by the Parties. I firmly believe that an independent MP will put his constituent's interests first, more so than a Party MP who will put the Party first almost every time. The eternal contradiction is the Party machine provides the funding, infrastructure and manpower to run election campaigns, especially at General Elections where the big parties dominate the media. Perhaps this "Independent Group" is a way around this.

What say CCers? Would you vote for a pro-Remain Independent Candidate or are they a distraction from serious politics and the real fight between Tories and Labour?

Illaveago, sotkayak, Afnug and 2 others like this.
  2. sheddy

sheddy Guru

Yes - I always vote for the underdog.

3. lane

lane Über Member

I'm not sure they will be independent as such but rather an embryonic poliical party with all that entails. More likely to represent me than the two main parties currently do.

4. Reiver

Reiver Ribbit, Ribbit.

Don't think either of the two main parties could represent me less - so whoever this breakaway group is (and I know little about them) are more than likely to be better - come to think of it screaming lord such and the monster raving looneys would be better than the labour conservative set ups at the moment.

5. SteveF

SteveF Veteran

I'm a bit of a political orphan at the moment so very interested to see how this pans out

Sillyoldman, Fab Foodie and lane like this.
  6. Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey Toll Collector on the Road to Nowhere

This is possibly the least inspiring political rebellion ever.

NorthernDave, mickle, AndyRM and 8 others like this.
  7. Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey Toll Collector on the Road to Nowhere

I know that you can't directly compare across time, but the fate of the SDP defectors is not going to inspire confidence in the IG:
    Dz1mNLwXgAAM0aK.jpg

mickle, Illaveago, brodiej and 5 others like this.
  8. meta lon

meta lon Guru

I think it will be a hiding to nothing, but good luck to them.

Come election time it will be cons v labs

9. Rusty Nails

Rusty Nails We remember

The fate of the Labour defectors at least was unlikely to be good anyway come selection for the next election, with Momentum having so much influence in many constituencies. They have nothing to lose.

Andy in Germany likes this.
  10. robjh

robjh Legendary Member

I wish them well but fear that in the longer term they will sink without trace, because of (1) FPTP which dooms start-up parties in the UK, as it did the SDP, and (2) listening carefully to them it is hard to discern much that unites them other than opposition to Brexit and despair at/rejection by their old parties. The SDP at least looked like a proper (potential) party from day 1.

That said, I would like to think they could do something to shake up the current moribund party machines that are driving us ever closer to disaster at the end of March, but I am not sure that even there there is much strategy - the Tory defectors could end up strengthening the grip of the ERG rather than breaking it.

C R, bluenotebob and Beebo like this.
  11. OP
    OP
    Diogenes

Diogenes Opinions, schminions

Maybe it's not what they do, but what Labour and the Tories do.

Andy in Germany, SteveF and lane like this.
  12. FishFright

FishFright More wheels than sense

I'm interested in who's funding this little adventure but have little interest in anything they say before they go crawling to whatever party the go crawling to when it grinds to an embarrassing halt

AndyRM, theclaud and Illaveago like this.
  13. cuberider

cuberider Über Member

I suspect most of them will lose at the next election, and there is a strong arguement that by elections should be called now.

theclaud, Illaveago and FishFright like this.
  14. Rusty Nails

Rusty Nails We remember

Is that a moral argument or a legal one?

If it's a moral argument, they're politicians so no chance of winning that one.

15. deptfordmarmoset

deptfordmarmoset Full time tea drinker

CAMAERG - no, it's not some clandestine Welsh movement, it stands for Coalition Against May And ERG. I don't see what TIG could do that a simple coalition couldn't do far better.

C R likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice