The Jazz Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
"Nice."
290px-Jazz_Club.jpg

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Hmm...Maz, you're not a jazz fan? ;)

Check this out... exhilarating music, phenomenal dancing (I may have posted this before sometime...) and the guy who starts off playing the piano (Slim Gaillard...one of life's natural geniuses, I bought him a drink once, y'know, and had a chat at the bar.... he was a fascinating person, and amazingly talented on any instrument you could care to mention)

View: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=TlQ-CxoxQnM

The clip is a bit non-PC these days (it's from a film called Hellzapoppin'... which was also a stage show... the black peeps are servants/drivers/chefs etc) and the white guys (Ole Olsen and Chic Johnson : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellzapoppin') are putting on a show at a country house....

Be amazed! (or not...whatever rings your bell!) :smile:

Maz

Guru
Fnaar said:
Hmm...Maz, you're not a jazz fan? ;)
Maybe I'm confusing Jazz with Improv, but it just seems a bit too random to me. I'll check out the links at home later and give you my honest opinion.

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Maz said:
Maybe I'm confusing Jazz with Improv, but it just seems a bit too random to me. I'll check out the links at home later and give you my honest opinion.

I don't like any old jazz, I guess (a freind once palyed me a Norwegian jazz violinist...didn't do it for me...) but it's the 20th Century's classical music, as far as I'm concerned... here's another fave:

View: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=U4FAKRpUCYY&feature=related

galaxy1

Jazz has got to be the best thing since sliced bread followed by world music .Who was the Norweian jazz violinist?Could be interesting.

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
galaxy1 said:
Jazz has got to be the best thing since sliced bread followed by world music .Who was the Norweian jazz violinist?Could be interesting.
To be honest, I can't remember who it was, it was years ago... jazz and violine (Yehudi Menuhin etc) really don't do it for me, I'm afraid! Brass, drums, bass and piano... sorted!

beancounter

Recommend me some easy going jazz.

For reference, I really like Vince Guaraldi.

bc

That Slim G is a classic Fnaar... I saw it first post around and it was a real 'freshener'.
I quite like Horace Silver, Lee Morgan - the Blue Note lot... Here for those interested.

Meade Lux Lewis, Albert Ammonds - all great stuff, through to Buddy Rich and all the big band drummers. College was punctuated by Donald Bird, Grover Washington - Also, Theolonius Monk LP borrowing from Chelsea public library was a must - even if the stuff was a complete and utter mystery to me...:biggrin:

Chris Barber circa 1973 also...;)

galaxy1

fusionfusionfusionfusionetc when jazz met up with rock for a drink. Some chick corea is pretty mellowish.Two of my favorite albums at the moment are Spain and Spain Again by Michel Camilo and Tomatito .Jazz Piano and Flamenco guitar.On them we have easy going and more hectic.I'd recommend them.

Top Bottom