England : Essex The Joy Of Essex: Saturday 22 June from Manningtree

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Hi chaps,

Date for your diaries - I shall be organising an Auntie Helen ride from Manningtree Station on Saturday 22 June.

Leaving the station around 10am (9am train from London Liverpool Street gets you there), although those who come earlier can join me in the Manningtree Station Buffet Breakfast (an excellent hearty feast).

The plan is to ride about 45 miles (route still to be refined) with a stop for cake and a stop for lunch at a pub.

It will be generally flat but with a few hills here and there but nothing overly taxing.

I will look forward to showing you all the joys of Essex with occasional glimpses of Suffolk.

This ride is also being advertised on YACF.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Would love to do this.
Let me check if littl'uns football training is still on on June as that's what takes up my Saturday mornings now.

Spally

Hi is this open to new ccers and what sort of standard are you talking about?

Thanks
Paul

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Yeah, open to all.

We may have a fairly slow triker with us so it's possible the rolling average will be less than 8mph. It's unlikely to be above 10mph whatever, will be leisurely with good scenery and lots of food stops!

Goldcoast

I'd like to do this but have never ridden in a group before. Would beginners be ok with this ride?

compo

Veteran
Yeah, open to all.

We may have a fairly slow triker with us so it's possible the rolling average will be less than 8mph. It's unlikely to be above 10mph whatever, will be leisurely with good scenery and lots of food stops!

They always say that before disappearing over the horizon at the speed of sound!

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Goldcoast, beginners are fine - it looks as though it will be a pretty leisurely ride so it's a good one to start with. When I find out the general level of experience/distance/fitness/speed I will plan the specific route, so it might be shorter than some I've done.

@compo, I believe I'm pretty good at ensuring rides stay together fairly well.

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Right, I've ridden a bit of a possible route today and come up with some plans.

Current idea is to do 15 miles from Manningtree (largely flat except for a hill climb at the beginning) to a tea stop after 15 miles at Fillpots Nursery in Boxted (good value cakes!)

Then it's about 11 miles to the lunch stop, the Haywain in Little Bromley.

From here you can get directly back to Manningtree in just over three miles (making the total ride distance 30 miles), or continue on a scenic loop taking us eventually along the Stour River to end up with a 38 mile ride.

This is a shortish ride with two decent stops to enable newer cyclists to enjoy it (as it looks as though I have some signed up!) It's generally flat but with one big hill at the beginning (out of Manningtree) and another up from Dedham and if you do the scenic loop after the lunch stop then there are a couple of little undulations but nothing too significant.

Scenery is great, roads are mostly laney (very little on busy roads), locals tend to be nice to cyclists, lunch stop pub wins the local CAMRA awards regularly.

Nearer the time I'd like more of an idea who is planning to come as I'll need to inform the pub and the Garden Centre café to ensure they don't run out of food!

nickg

Über Member
Hi I may well be able to ride this too. Have got to check the diary but it looks good. I live in Colchester, so may ride out to the meet as we only have one car. will let you know a bit nearer the time though.

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Right folks.

I'm now back from my extended cycle tour of Germany (781 miles in 14 days) and am thinking more specifically about this ride.

Could I ask you to indicate on this thread if you think you'll be coming on Saturday 22 (i.e. a week tomorrow) and also let me know what kind of mileage you'd be happy with (30, 40, 50) and if you're fairly new to it all etc, so I can tailor the ride to those taking part. Obviously if I've ridden with you already I ought to have some sort of idea!

Manningtree and its environs are a wonderful part of the world to ride in and a quick hour from Liverpool Street is well worth the effort!

Top Bottom