The kitchen gadgets/equipment thread....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I always thought soup makers were gimmicky but today my sister came down with hers, threw some veg in with water and a stock cube and 20 minutes later served up delicious soup for 5. Thinking about getting one now.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
View attachment 441095

Our lechwan, or bakestone.

This one has been in use regularly for over 50 years and is a must-have in our house. My wife made 30 welshcakes this morning with it, and they'll all be gone by Tuesday.

My uncle made this one, a sideline when he worked in the foundry in the local ironworks.

You can't make proper welshcakes unless the bakestone has been made on the sly at work. My own Nana's was cut out of 1/4" plate at the colliery. I don't with certainty know where it ended up but I hope and expect it's with my aunt

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I hate cooking at other peoples houses and discovering the only knives they have are the small one and the big one, both bought from Woolworths in the early '70s for 99p the pair. If I ever lost my Sabattiers I'd have 'em replaced by tea time and damn the expense.

It is doubly frustrating when they have some plausible looking handles enticingly peeping out of a knife block but are all totally blunt. So you give em a couple of swipes with the presumably unused steel in the drawer, but no; the knives are not in fact top quality global/ sabbatier/wustoff, nor even cheap but good catering knives from sheffield, but in fact utterly shyte blades with pretty handles.

Mind you, my Dad has this fixation with not sharpening anything "else you'llruin the blade" so every single chisel, knife, billhook however good originall is utterly unusable now but mustn't be sharpened

You can't make proper welshcakes unless the bakestone has been made on the sly at work. My own Nana's was cut out of 1/4" plate at the colliery. I don't with certainty know where it ended up but I hope and expect it's with my aunt

Ours will certainly outlast us as my daughter has dibs on it for when we pop our clogs. We're going to her house in London next week and she has her order in for a tin of welshcakes.

I always thought soup makers were gimmicky but today my sister came down with hers, threw some veg in with water and a stock cube and 20 minutes later served up delicious soup for 5. Thinking about getting one now.

We make a lot of soup but have never got a soup maker because even using a saucepan and hand blender it still only takes around 20 mins, with seconds to wash up afterwards. I assume you still have to peel the veg to put in the soup.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
It is doubly frustrating when they have some plausible looking handles enticingly peeping out of a knife block but are all totally blunt. So you give em a couple of swipes with the presumably unused steel in the drawer, but no; the knives are not in fact top quality global/ sabbatier/wustoff, nor even cheap but good catering knives from sheffield, but in fact utterly shyte blades with pretty handles.

Mind you, my Dad has this fixation with not sharpening anything "else you'llruin the blade" so every single chisel, knife, billhook however good originall is utterly unusable now but mustn't be sharpened
Steels don't sharpen, they hone. Here's the nitty gritty...…

https://www.thekitchn.com/did-you-know-this-steel-doesnt-actually-sharpen-knives-211855

Profpointy

Legendary Member

Mmm, surely all these activities are "sharpening" and given they are trying to limit the term "hone" to something no engineer would consider honing (maybe "burnishing" ?) - especially since a diamond or ceramic hone does actually hone in both senses of the word their pedantry is confusing and or wrong even if the overall thrust has some merit

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Mmm, surely all these activities are "sharpening" and given they are trying to limit the term "hone" to something no engineer would consider honing (maybe "burnishing" ?) - especially since a diamond or ceramic hone does actually hone in both senses of the word their pedantry is confusing and or wrong even if the overall thrust has some merit
I can tell you went to college.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'd go with 'burnishing' as a better term,

View: https://youtu.be/YEP84sKCgF0

GM

Legendary Member
Not exactly for the kitchen, but just outside the kitchen door. Got a new one of these the other day, the boy uses it for making a curry.....

fk003200-1.jpg

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
About the same time it took me to make Celeriac soup today using my new little Pressure cooker and a stick blender then....

Top Bottom